What cctv system?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
I’m looking for a cctv system that isn’t going to cost the earth but is wired (pref cat5e) and can be monitored via web?

Any suggestions as this is not my field.

Yes, it does have that option, plug an ethernet cable into the router socket and the other end into your router itself and scan the setup QR code. I personally don't see the point of going away/work/holiday sitting looking at your house, but some folk do.

I used to have an "analogue" cctv system (old co-ax) POE is much better.

I only need it as I am away from home all week and quite often the wife is not there either so it just a quick check round now and then.
I presume it’s a cat5e to each camera back to the box and link to router and power from there.

I only need it as I am away from home all week and quite often the wife is not there either so it just a quick check round now and then.
I presume it’s a cat5e to each camera back to the box and link to router and power from there.
I'm fairly sure it's a cat 5e to a router , if you want, or the box,
Each camera has an internal network IP,
Any I've done was like that anyway.
So, you can in effect have 4 cameras to a remote router/switch in an outhouse all connected to the box via one cat5e

Almost.

Cat5 or Cat6 cable to each camera (The kit I linked to comes with 4 cameras AND 4 cables)
You plug one end of a cable into each camera, the other end of each camera cable plugs into the NVR
The NVR plugs into your router.
The only thing you have to do is scan the QR code with your phone to download the app.
There are a whole bunch of options you can set up (I left mine at default.)

Apart from a power supply for the NVR you do NOT need any other power supplies as the Network Video Recorder powers the cameras, it's why it's called POE, Power Over Ethernet

Oh, and an "old" TV is useful as you can plug it into the NVR and watch what the cameras see, a must for initial setup.

Of course, you don't have to get the kit I linked to, they are all pretty much the same. (Well, POE or CO-Ax)

I’m happy with Reolink, 4k 8mp units, there are a lot of similar units but I went with them as the software is their own and not a generic that a lot are using. With POE while the initial cost for the NVR can be off putting no cloud rental fees so its a one off payment.

I have a Swann system, has a hub connected to wifi and all 6 cameras wired back to the unit. Cameras have an RCA connection and cable also has 12v supply in separate cores. You can get systems from screwfix for approx £200 with 4 cameras. I had to buy a HDD for the hub. System easy to set up and monitored over internet and screen in kitchen. Does the job quite well.

I have 6 Hikvision cams and an 8Port NVR (2 x 2TB HDD's) Cat 5 & Cat6 I have had other makes Swan etc. but I have to say you get what you pay for yes Hik is not cheap but it can do everything you asked for securely online mobile phone internet etc. It depends how much you value your safety and security doesn't it?

Just an update:
I have 8 cameras, I could get an 8/9 channel NVR with one huge hard drive (For storage) but I don't see the point as it will fail and I will be left without anything, so I have 2 x NVRs and 8 cameras. 4 Cameras, cables and an NVR arrived this morning. (Same kit as last time and just about £200) It records 24/7 can be connected to the internet (But I haven't) and it only has 1 power supply, so I can get rid of the 4 power supplies and the twin cables I have right now. (Oh and the cameras)

Attachments

• Complete kit.jpg
    Complete kit.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 6
  • NVR Front.jpg
    NVR Front.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 7
  • NVR Rear.jpg
    NVR Rear.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 6
Just an update:
I have 8 cameras, I could get an 8/9 channel NVR with one huge hard drive (For storage) but I don't see the point as it will fail and I will be left without anything, so I have 2 x NVRs and 8 cameras. 4 Cameras, cables and an NVR arrived this morning. (Same kit as last time and just about £200) It records 24/7 can be connected to the internet (But I haven't) and it only has 1 power supply, so I can get rid of the 4 power supplies and the twin cables I have right now. (Oh and the cameras)
if you really wanted, you could use 2x 8 channel DVR's & network the cameras so both recorders record each camera. still a single failure point at the switch though