What does a five year landlord electrical inspection involve?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Display

Reaction score
My mum is due to have her five yearly landlord electrical inspection. She's a little worried about letting an electrician into her home due to covid. She has asked the electrical company what it involves but the guy on the phone didn't seem to know and just fobbed her off.

Is there a minimum standard that needs to be met? Is he legally obliged to go into every room and access every socket outlet even if that means moving wordrobes and appliances? Or will he only have to get to electrical points that are easily accessible? Any info would be appreciated.

You need to speak to the management at the social housing service provider to discuss this, as the detail of the inspection will be down to them not the inspecting person.

I'm just having an EICR done on a rental. The electrician who I've used before has a strict Covid regime. Various things considered like the property should be empty or only one other person present. That person should vacate the room the electrician is working in, windows to be opened etc. Bit in there too about if anyone in the household has had Covid he wants proof of a negative test etc. 

My mum is due to have her five yearly landlord electrical inspection. She's a little worried about letting an electrician into her home due to covid. She has asked the electrical company what it involves but the guy on the phone didn't seem to know and just fobbed her off.

Is there a minimum standard that needs to be met? Is he legally obliged to go into every room and access every socket outlet even if that means moving wordrobes and appliances? Or will he only have to get to electrical points that are easily accessible? Any info would be appreciated.

All electrical inspections have elements of sampling and limitations regarding the extent of the installation to be checked..

( otherwise it becomes a very time consuming and expensive task )

And if no previous certificates, reports or documentation are available then it will generally be a bit more involved identifying exactly what each circuit actually supplies..

There is NO legal requirement to open every socket / switch in every room..

A basic principal of 10% sampling is normally applied..

But that can be increased if non compliances are identified.

But as Sidewinder said the extent of the inspection & testing will need to be agreed with the contractor prior to undertaking the work.

Guinness