What Fire Alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_k

Reaction score
Im Just quoting for total rewire of an old victorian House.

Its going to be divided up into 2 flats, one upstairs, one downstairs. The entrance to both flats is via the front door into a communal area around 2m x 1.5m. The doors to each flat come off this.

The spec for the fire precautions is

`Mains operated linked smoke alarm detection system to BS5446-1:2000 and BS5839-6:2004to at least Grade D cat LD3 standard and to be mains powered with battery backup. Smoke alarms should be sited so that there is an alarm in every circulation space on all levels`

My normal work is single dwelling refurbs and the like where i install mains linked Aico`s.

As this is a HMO its a little different. Im just trying to judge if this is something i can do or ill be best handing this over to a fire alamco. to save the bother.

From looking around and speaking to a few other sparks, some say i need the usual mains smokes in each flat and a grade A in the circulation space. Some say normal smokes in flats, single smoke and a call point on its own in the communal.

Im gonna give Aico a ring in a bit to get their opinion, Whats yours?

Cheers

Only a suggestion but there should be an FRA.

(Fire Risk Assessment)  That should guide you

and others on here will (I think) say the same.

Whilst aico may give you advice ultimately they will want to sell you a product. I would have thought that a quick call to the local fire officer and ask them what they would require as a minimum might give you a better idea, you can then match the products to the requirement as opposed to requirement to products?

Locked to prevent hi jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.