What is the difference between the 8202 and 5357 apprenticeship?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apprenticesparky

Reaction score
Do you think employers would rather have somebody that has done the 8202 apprenticeship over the 5357 apprenticeship. The reason I am asking is because I recently started the level 3 5357 apprenticeship course. I want to understand what the real difference is between these qualifications and weather it will affect my employability or prevent me starting my own electrical company in the future

Yes I was previously on the 8202 but the electricians in the company were not qualified and hadn’t been to college apart from two that I didn’t work with.

That was what I was looking for thank you.
The 5357 is what is considered to be the greater of the two as it envelopes all aspects of being an electrician, I believe, the 8202 appears to be geared up to be an introductory insight to electrical work, giving basic understanding?

The 5357 the one that will give you status as an electrician upon completion of the endpoint assessment.
Thanks for your reply, do you happen to know what the units covered on the 8202 would allow me to do that the 5357 would not? I ask this because I have noticed that the 8202 focuses more on planning and design.

Thanks for your reply, do you happen to know what the units covered on the 8202 would allow me to do that the 5357 would not? I ask this because I have noticed that the 8202 focuses more on planning and design.
We don't deliver the 8202 at my college, so it's difficult for me to say. I've had a look at the City and Guilds website and there are less guided hours of learning on the 8202 in relation to the 5357. I can't see what the 8202 gives that 5357 doesn't in fairness. Planning and design are also in 5357, Unit 105 and 104.

Latest posts