What is the most stupid thing youve done at work!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to a customers...

they are out at work all day..

been given a key to get in & do the work:)

Front door you cant suss out which way the lock turns...

seems all back to front...

try it all one way. then the next.

then hey you are in..

Great! :) ...

get started then find you need somthing from the motor... :|

go tothe front door to get out... and..........

Find you have "DEAD LOCKED" yourself IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :_| :_| :_| :_|

:8}:8}

Yep I dun IT!!

luckily I could find a back door key into the garden and they had a side gate

other wise it would of been waiting for customer to let me out!

Fairly recently I was called to a bungalow that had a pipe burst in the loft, it was unoccupied , and worse still they due to exchange contracts on it's sale that very day.

The damage was not actually that bad, no ceilings down but three rooms had lighting with water present. I insulation tested what there was there , disconnected the low readings, basically lighting beneath the flood, but left the sockets on for the heaters to work to dry the place out.

There was a ten thousand pound retention on the sale, subject to the problems being fixed, basically a bit of plastering and carpet damage, plus me reconnecting and certificating.

On going back the new owners were there, and the previous one , with two different views of why I was there.

I started by insulation testing the place as a whole, 100k, eek it was 6 meg last week, looked around for any new fittings that might have appeared in the last fortnight, nothing. Nothing for it but to disconnect and check circuit by circuit, and it was the ring main, so asked the customer if they had left anything plugged in, I had asked them to remove everything, two minutes later she returned holding my martindale, I found this. is it yours?

My training to become an idiot is progressing well, I suppose around 100k should have screamed neon to me.

Cheers

Fairly recently I was called to a bungalow that had a pipe burst in the loft, it was unoccupied , and worse still they due to exchange contracts on it's sale that very day.

The damage was not actually that bad, no ceilings down but three rooms had lighting with water present. I insulation tested what there was there , disconnected the low readings, basically lighting beneath the flood, but left the sockets on for the heaters to work to dry the place out.

There was a ten thousand pound retention on the sale, subject to the problems being fixed, basically a bit of plastering and carpet damage, plus me reconnecting and certificating.

On going back the new owners were there, and the previous one , with two different views of why I was there.

I started by insulation testing the place as a whole, 100k, eek it was 6 meg last week, looked around for any new fittings that might have appeared in the last fortnight, nothing. Nothing for it but to disconnect and check circuit by circuit, and it was the ring main, so asked the customer if they had left anything plugged in, I had asked them to remove everything, two minutes later she returned holding my martindale, I found this. is it yours?

My training to become an idiot is progressing well, I suppose around 100k should have screamed neon to me.

Cheers

Hi John, well that's not too bad! You just got a red face from it. :p

I use one of the Martindale's that has the buzzer built into it. Not only is it well handy to tell if you've found and pulled/tripped the right fuse/mcb; It stops you from leaving it behind as long as it's powered up.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D

Working in property couple of months ago. Tenant has to go to work so leaves us a key. 'lock up and post key when done'. Got the work done then when packing up, 2 drills and my toolbox in left. I say to lad working with me... 'I'll get the heavy 1, you get the drills'. Threw them in van, locked up and off to the compound. Gets back and noticed a drill missing. 'You pick up both them drills?' I say to lad.... 'nah, just 1, didn't you go back for other'. 'YOU TIT!!!'

Spent the next 3 hours fishing keys back out through letter box to get drill out of kitchen.

This was last day on this site, finished at 1:30 and tenant wasn't due back till about 9:00pm.

Not fun!

Working in property couple of months ago. Tenant has to go to work so leaves us a key. 'lock up and post key when done'. Got the work done then when packing up, 2 drills and my toolbox in left. I say to lad working with me... 'I'll get the heavy 1, you get the drills'. Threw them in van, locked up and off to the compound. Gets back and noticed a drill missing. 'You pick up both them drills?' I say to lad.... 'nah, just 1, didn't you go back for other'. 'YOU TIT!!!'Spent the next 3 hours fishing keys back out through letter box to get drill out of kitchen.

This was last day on this site, finished at 1:30 and tenant wasn't due back till about 9:00pm.

Not fun!
Yet another sign of a true spark there Barx...

oh & welcome M8 :) :) :D

I had once been fishing a bit of 2.5mm through a short section of porch ceiling into loft void at a bungalow I was working at.

had got my rods through... :)

cuz i was then pulling a 2.5mm T&E I wrapped the wires & taped then thouroughly onto my fish rods, just to make sure they wouldn't come off.. :D

pull the cable through fine. all very secure onto my rods.. Great! :D

then when it came to undoing the cable from the rods..

started untwisting all the tape I had wrapped around...

but it was taking too long and I got fed up:|

so got out my stanley knife... sliced down the PVC tape.. :(

carried on straight down my leg.. :(

through my jeans..

cut a 1inch slit in the top of my thigh... :_| :_|

diddnt go to deep luckily...

but it kept on bleeding for ages.. every time I bent my leg..

which is very frequent when you are crawling though a loft space. X(

As they always tell you..

"Hold the knife away from you!!!!"

Special - that`ll have the h+s police knockin` Admin`s door for your address!!!!

Not quite a stupid thing I did - but:

When I left school, I started in radio & TV/VCR servicing. Worked for a while for a firm who rented TVs out (like radio rentals; only little!)

Had a call out one afternoon to an old dear, whos TV had "gone bang".

Before I go any further, a short lesson. On CRT TVs, the electrons were thrown onto the screen by an EHT supply (usually around the 25KV mark for a colour TV), via a cable from the line output transformer (loptx), to the tube`s final anode.

So, we get to the house, and get the story. Mrs Smith (name changed to protect anonymity[or maybe that WAS her name]) tells us that her budgie used to sit on the back of the TV. Apparently, it nibbled through the ventilation slots and went inside.

Shortly afterwards, the TV went "bang", and, to quote, "I`ve kept calling Charlie, but he won`t come out!!!"

Taking the back off the set, I determine that the "Charlie" thought that sitting on the chassis (floating at about half mains potential) and pecking the final anode flylead, would be a good idea.

Wrong. Very, Very wrong.

After retrieving the flash fried remains, and a few blackened feathers, (cue "Oh, my poor charlie", complete with tears), I explain that he`s managed to damage a component costing about

Similar thing with a nightclub!

They decided to get a load of old tv's and strip the box off them and leave the chassis hanging. They got the barstaff to hang them until one got a belt off the stored charge!

Had to explain the idea of 'capacitive' charges to them! :^O

It has to be one of the most "unusual" shocks I`ve ever had.

Really difficult to explain the sensation.

Mind you, the worst one to date came from a 9V transistor radio!!!

(I think you`ll know where that one`s going Mr. S?)

`night guys. Need seepy byes now. I issed. Furthermore, she who MUST be obeyed (OMG!!! is that a whip????) appears to require my services again. SIGH............

C.U.Later friends, romans and, and , and erm thingies. bye now

It has to be one of the most "unusual" shocks I`ve ever had.Really difficult to explain the sensation.

Mind you, the worst one to date came from a 9V transistor radio!!!

(I think you`ll know where that one`s going Mr. S?)
That reminds me of my younger days doin my apprenticeship where one of the skills i woz taught was making off mineral insulated cables for fire alarm instalations.

our old boss would get you to make of shorts lenghts, putting the screw or crimp POT gland on the end then we had to check the insulation resistance..

we had a wind-up crank handle megger in those days.. which could chuck out quite a belt!

the boss would say.. you need to sepeate the ends of the wires before you megger test it.

So I grabbed hold of the two conductors to make sure they were appart..

mean while my boss had started cranking the megger on then other end of the cable..

that made you jump:O:O

either that or they would just stick the croc clips on your hand & crank the handle!!! X(

:^O

Did he ask you about going to the store to order a 'long weight'?

:^O Did he ask you about going to the store to order a 'long weight'?
Oh yes yes yes!!

one of the things our company actually fitted were factory time keeping & clocking-in systems

which had an impulse transmitter that sent a 36v pulse to all of the factory clocks that incremented every minuite.

the impulse transmitter had a pendulum which you actually had small wieghts to put onto the pendulm to adjust the time keeping.

e.g. each wieght = so many seconds error per week...

So when the boss says go and fetch a long wieght from the stores??

it did sort of make sence.. :)

untill you had been standing there half an hour & the store man finally spills the beans & tells you to bu**er off!! :| :| :|

I was also asked to get some "Sky hooks" for fixing overhead cables!!!! :( :(

The old apprentice Jokes. Can't fault them.

:)