What is the point of smart meters?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m now looking after my late brothers house which is some way away from us.

It has smart meters so I thought I’d be able to see the usage on a daily or weekly basis through the supplier app. 

sadly not. 

Smart meters collect data hourly IIRC so why can’t real online usage be visible.

BTW this is octopus energy

they normally come with a little dispaly you can out somewhere in your house where you can see what's going on. I'm guessing the phone app would offer the same sort of display? 

funny

the supplier has all the data so why isn’t in all apps. And then homes wouldn’t need all the displays and psu’s

or are they trying to hide something?
there's a cost to running databases and providing access for the public through a portal. I'm guessing they don't want to meet that cost, otherwise the chairman might not be able to afford a new yacht in the South of France

there's a cost to running databases and providing access for the public through a portal. I'm guessing they don't want to meet that cost, otherwise the chairman might not be able to afford a new yacht in the South of France
that reminds of BT

Many years ago we signed up to a limited amount of broadband, and kept on exceeding the amount …. So I asked BT for a breakdown of usage per day …. They said they didn’t have any way to do this…. Yet they could tell me my total usage. 

useless company …

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts