What Scheme Are You Registered With?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is wrong with being a DI.? The limited scope of works we do does not require AC.

I've seen plenty of poor workmanship from AC's.

What's the difference? A bigger cheque?
Before part p there was the NICEIC & ECA. When part p came about the NIC realised that it would be easier to lower the bar and let anyone in rather than make them all become AC so they started the mickey mouse club (DI).

Yes we all know that there are decent reputable DI's, and that there are terrible AC's. Things have changed since DI was introduced, but the stigma is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am DI with NICEIC. i am only with them so i can do self certification.

They keep trying to upsell me AC, which to those that know what it means might make my cards and invoices look slightly better due to the letters AC instead of DI.    When i consider the extra cost and time for assessment and hassle of organising more jobs to visit and bothering my customers just so i can have AC instead of DI i really can not be bothered.

If i had some real cream jobs that insisted i had AC and paid me exceptionally well i would do it. As it will not make me any more money i will stick with DI. If i did not need to notify i wouldnt bother with any of them.  I am not aware of any benifits being AC will give me.

AC can open doors to commercial customers, like council, and its no more hassle thean DI assessment every year. Also comes with bragging rights of a sort.....

i dont have and wouldnt put any scam info on any of my paperwork etc. some business cards have 'part p registered', but thats it
I have an e-mail footer with the various schemes we are members of. Nothing on anything else.

The biggest scam on the trade in recent times is at the introduction of " Competent Persons "    " Part Pee" schemes ...NICEIC decided to ignore the fact that all their existing AC members had already been checked , registered as competent , often for many years , and launched  a second DI scheme .

Now I'm not sure on this but did all the existing  members who were already competent in house bashing have to join the second DI scheme & pay twice ? 

And if so .......why did they stand for it ?

I could say it was similar for people like myself  who, for many years, had been graded as a JIB Approved Electrician but was suddenly deemed incompetent for house bashing unless I joined one of the new schemes .   There you are running projects on hospitals , schools , MOD , Police , local councils , industrial etc etc    but , on the introduction of Phart Pee are deemed to be incompetent for house bashing .

What a load of old ballcocks it all is .  

As for what scheme I'm in  its  a "Mind your own business" from me .     

A year after I came out of my time I was appointed a “competent person”. IE able to carry out work/switching on our distribution system.

The industry I was in it was a statutory requirement.

Each switch had either a blue “competent person” label or a red “authorised person” label. Basically you had to understand the consequences of your actions.

I resent the scams using the term “competent person” for the semi-skilled (I can’t bring myself to use the word electrician).

In my previous employment, I used to be a "Senior Approved Person Electrical" (SAPE) I never really did figure if that was some statutory thing or just something unique to the industry I was in.

The biggest scam on the trade in recent times is at the introduction of " Competent Persons "    " Part Pee" schemes ...NICEIC decided to ignore the fact that all their existing AC members had already been checked , registered as competent , often for many years , and launched  a second DI scheme .

Now I'm not sure on this but did all the existing  members who were already competent in house bashing have to join the second DI scheme & pay twice ? 

And if so .......why did they stand for it ?

I could say it was similar for people like myself  who, for many years, had been graded as a JIB Approved Electrician but was suddenly deemed incompetent for house bashing unless I joined one of the new schemes .   There you are running projects on hospitals , schools , MOD , Police , local councils , industrial etc etc    but , on the introduction of Phart Pee are deemed to be incompetent for house bashing .

What a load of old ballcocks it all is .  

As for what scheme I'm in  its  a "Mind your own business" from me .
As an NICEIC AC i woke up,one morning to be told i was still competent and would become a DI at no extra charge if i wanted!

Whoop de fecking whoo!

I politely informed the tw@s that if after a nights sleep,I was suddenly not capable of house bashing then they could shove their scheme up,their Barrymore and i would start litigation against them for taking money under false pretences from us since 1956!

I did not "join a scam" more like I had a scam "thrust upon me" at no cost , so i just went with it for the rare occasion when i need it

Just saying

Latest posts