What should/can I do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumps

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum and after some advice. I have read other threads but I do not feel I really have an answer. And I am sure I will get some stick as well! I am wanting to change my career and recently did a course which encompasses the below. And I am currently working as a PAT testing engineer for a company.

I have the following qualifications from EAL: Level 3 in 17th edition, Part P building regs, PAT testing, and have just completed initial verification and periodic inspection. Also level 2 in fundamentals of inspection etc.  The qualifications are part P 2393, 17th edition 2382, PAT 2377, T&I 2392 and 2394/95.
On the certificate it states 2392 is level 2 and everything else is level 3.
Also I have received a logic competence card to be a domestic installer, which I believe the industry is saturated in!

What does all this mean? What can I do now and where can I work? I have read several different websites stating different things and watched many different videos but they all seem to contradict each other at times so I need some clarifications on what I do next.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I’m assuming that these were from a training provider at a cost of £4K?

what do you know about cable calculations grouping factors, thermal effects, to name a few ? 

Near enough, and I'm sorry to say I was sucked into it.  When I left the forces I never really knew what I wanted to do, now nearly 10 years down the line I finally realised!  Now I'm just trying to find a way to get into the trade.  I'm currently a PAT tester hoping to move into the fixed side of the company but still trying to open other doors.

I am aware of them and the affects and those that I am unsure off I know where to find the answer!

I've just turned 34 and I completed the 2394/95 just a couple of weeks ago. All the quals are less then a year old. 

So at best you’ll be an electricians mate,  as you’ve no experience or fundamental qualifications. 

If it were me, I’d be looking at doing the proper level 2 nvq in electrical installation followed by the level 3 of the same. You may have to do this via a local college (probably cheaper option) or a specific training provider. This would be the only route to being a recognised sparks. How long it takes is up to you? You will have to pay again. 

I’m not sure what the logic cert to be a domestic installer is all about? Thought they’d be some proper qualifications alongside those that you’ve got? 

Latest posts