What should I do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

says-les

Reaction score
I'm a retired spark who taught the 14th,15th and 16th editions to apprentices and to sparks updating their knowledge base/qualification.  I am self taught by studying since an apprentice, have gained C & G Full Tech Certificate back in the 60's.  I still read up and have a copy of the 18th edition and Site Guide.  I sat and passed the 17th edition.

Here is my issue.

I have been doing voluntary maintenance in my local church for more than ten years.  Before my joining this church the owner's son did all electrical work.  He is NOT a spark and some of the things I inspected were abonimal.

I did my Inspection and Testing Cert to 17th Edition and insisted that a contractor did an EICR about four years ago.

Recently this would be spark installed three cctv cameras after some vandalism to the entrance.

He did this without consulting me.

The mains socket outlets connecting the cameras were wired along the metal partition held by big chunks of black pvc tape without any containment.  I have no idea where these were wired from at their origin.  I assume no testing was carried out nor MEIWC issued.

What action, if any, should I take?  I care. No one else seems to care or know about IET Regs. and competency to install.

First off, pray, then go to the head of church and ask them to pray with you. For if two or more agree then it shall come to pass, so give them two choice of prayer. One use their faith to believe that the insurers (a worldly organisation, created by money for the pure lust of money) will overlook this non compliance and that the Lord will intervene, or, two tell them that the non compliance will mean their insurance is null and void and the Lords time is better spent on saving others not saving those that should know better!  

then get on with putting it right. 

Before my joining this church the owner's son did all electrical work.  

What action, if any, should I take?  I care. No one else seems to care or know about IET Regs. and competency to install.

I am guessing this is not a "mainstream type of church", as I was not aware that a single person owned any church buildings. There would be some larger body, or trust, or group, (or whatever they are called), of individuals with responsibilities for all the legal obligations of the establishment. Put your concerns in writing to the body who have these legal obligations, then leave it for them to do whatever they want. If it is just a single person then I think you are wasting your time, as If a property is owned by a single person, I suspect it would be considered no different to any private dwelling house, where none of us have the power to insist any homeowner rectifies non-compliant electrical work we have identified.

Irrespective of any voluntary work you may, or may-not, have done in the past, unless you have a written remit to undertake some type of maintenance / remedial work then whatever you do, or whatever your opinions are on existing work, then they are irrelevant. You either need to Own it, Or be formally asked to maintain something for your opinion to be of any value.

Doc H.   

I am guessing this is not a "mainstream type of church", as I was not aware that a single person owned any church buildings. There would be some larger body, or trust, or group, (or whatever they are called), of individuals with responsibilities for all the legal obligations of the establishment. Put your concerns in writing to the body who have these legal obligations, then leave it for them to do whatever they want. If it is just a single person then I think you are wasting your time, as If a property is owned by a single person, I suspect it would be considered no different to any private dwelling house, where none of us have the power to insist any homeowner rectifies non-compliant electrical work we have identified.

Irrespective of any voluntary work you may, or may-not, have done in the past, unless you have a written remit to undertake some type of maintenance / remedial work then whatever you do, or whatever your opinions are on existing work, then they are irrelevant. You either need to Own it, Or be formally asked to maintain something for your opinion to be of any value.

Doc H.   
Many thanks for your reply

First off, pray, then go to the head of church and ask them to pray with you. For if two or more agree then it shall come to pass, so give them two choice of prayer. One use their faith to believe that the insurers (a worldly organisation, created by money for the pure lust of money) will overlook this non compliance and that the Lord will intervene, or, two tell them that the non compliance will mean their insurance is null and void and the Lords time is better spent on saving others not saving those that should know better!  

Thanks for this reply. Appreciated.

Many thanks for your reply