What should I expect from a 4kw system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this idea. Although, I'm on a fixed 21.5p tariff until end Dec 2023. Which I understand is pretty darned good and will be even more so after an October price hike?
Research carefully, I'm no great expert on such things as I have solar on the original high FiT that pays all my energy bills, and I went energy saving long before it was popular.

As a comparison these are my figures for a 6kw system for the month of June
solar 704 kwh
exported 433
grid consumption 7.9
Battery provided 92
Load was 213

What is important to note is the solar production does not reflect what could have been produced because when export is above 5Kw and battery is full and not consuming then inverter throttles back what it needs from solar if nowhere for juice to go.
My export is on the Octopus variable 1/2 hour rate and last month average was about 17p a unit in March it was 22p reflecting less power being generated nationally.
This last month my account was credited with £75 being the excess of export over consumption / standing charge

/ standing charge
now, the little unmentioned standing charges, I was looking at said charges yesterday whilst trying to find a good deal for my dear old mum. Standing charges have doubled, 50p per day, sneaky barstewards! Its worth lo0king for low standing charges if you have solar and batteries, if for example you use 10kWh per day from the grid, then 50p is effectively an extra 5p per kWh rate you are paying.

As a comparison these are my figures for a 6kw system for the month of June
solar 704 kwh
exported 433
grid consumption 7.9
Battery provided 92
Load was 213
do please keep posting some regular figures, I've always been a bit unhappy about talking to customers about what a battery will do for them financially as it's really hard to get real world experineces.

My standing charge is 48 p but Octopus gives me a loyalty discount of 13p so pay 35p. It varies a lot with region the highest have doubled N Wales is one but London area went up about 30% I understand. Is somewhat perverse the poorest areas went up the most the more affluent areas the least it seems.