What should your college courses have taught you, and failed to do so?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicemark

Reaction score
What should your college courses have taught you, and failed to do so?
I'm looking at course curriculums, at useless and obsolete stuff which is still in the course criteria, and what is missing for modern electrical work. Any constructive feedback appreciated.

PYRO
Cable jointing ...live and dead
Taking up floorboards
Putting back floorboards
Basic plumbing
Building construction
Real life conduit installation, and tray, and basket, and trunking, and fricking everything!
Stripping cables and NOT with a Stanley knife, other finger removal knives are available
Drilling holes in walls
Patch plastering or at the very least 'basing it out'

And the most important of the lot

THINKING'!

Whether it's just a sign of the times but the trainees I have under me these days seem to have absolutely no common sense they have to be spoon fed the most basic of things only for it to be forgotten 24hrs later.

PYRO
Cable jointing ...live and dead
Taking up floorboards
Putting back floorboards
Basic plumbing
Building construction
Real life conduit installation, and tray, and basket, and trunking, and fricking everything!
Stripping cables and NOT with a Stanley knife, other finger removal knives are available
Drilling holes in walls
Patch plastering or at the very least 'basing it out'

And the most important of the lot

THINKING'!
Sorry mate I think you’re looking at the wrong course, you want the course down the corridor 2nd right, has Builders on the door.

Drill hole
Ask apprentice for plug and screw
Drill hole
Ask,apprentice for plug and screw
Drill hole....by this time apprentice should have twigged what you need
Ask,apprentice for plug and screw

Used to elevate the temperature of my urine to almost boiling point

So brew time, drink my brew, throw dregs at him, he grunts
Lunchtime. Drink my brew, throw dregs at him, he grunts
Afternoon brew, drink brew, throw dregs at him.....he swerves to one side

"So you've learnt that one then''!
Happy days

Teach
Working with pets and kids
Rods and string and magnets
That 4BA screws and boxes still exist
That getting paid can be the hard bit ..

Some time back I had my young nephew helping change five windows and a front door, it meant changing drill bits from a wood bit to a masonry bit, then putting the cross head bit in, had two drills, by the time we had done two holes through the frame into the masonry, the bits where changed and the drill ready for me to use when I needed it, this from a lad who went on to become a Hons degree Electrical Mechanical Engineer he is now in his 50's and living in NZ earning a disproportionate wage compared to the national average, the point is his ability to adapt and learn was inherited from birth, not something you can teach.