What the - ! ..... what's he doing with that green book ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
Well folks, three years later than I intended, I have just started my 17th edition IEE regs course. Three days of tuition and a 60 question online exam on 1st December.

My bro Revjames very kindly lent me his red 17th edition IEE wiring regs book which I took along to the college with me - and it was very useful so thanks James :Salute

However with the busyness of life I have somehow failed to notice that there has recently been a 1st Amendment and the latest book is now green complete with a number of updates !.

The lecturer assured me and some colleagues that the red book would suffice for the course but he himself was using the green book and every time he gave a page number the number in the red book was different. There were also - obviously - some things in the green book that are not in the red book.

Now I'm wondering whether I should buy the green book. I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment. On Amazon you can get one for

419pq1dhQfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Revved Up,

I personally would not be doing a red book exam at the moment, the training centre I am involved with are stopping/have stopped the red book course, as the new exam is green book, if you sit the green book exam, then the red book will be no good.

You will need the green book, very soon anyway.

I have the red book, and understand the Green book is now the bible.

However when is the OSG and guidence notes going to be updated to the Green version.

I intend to doe the 2391 in Jan, not sure what reference material I should be useing.

philbas,

The OSG is out, I have just finished reading mine today.

AFAIK the new C&G exam is now out, I'll have to check the next time I am at the centre though.

In Jan you will have no choice but to use the bgb as the exam will be on the bgb by then.

However, now the OSG is no longer permitted in the exam anyway.

Basically the best advice I can use now is forget the brb and work to the bgb now.

Revved Up,I personally would not be doing a red book exam at the moment, the training centre I am involved with are stopping/have stopped the red book course, as the new exam is green book, if you sit the green book exam, then the red book will be no good.

You will need the green book, very soon anyway.
Thanks for the info. My lecturer says that up until January 2012 the red book will still be OK for the exam but I think I will be buying the green one this week anyway as I don't want to be at a disadvantage in any way from my peers, many of which have the green book. My main objective is to get the 17th edition qualification under my belt ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revved up,

I may not have made my point well, you will need the book to go with the exam as the exam is changing!

Which exam are you doing?

If the guy is teaching bgb then you should be doing the bgb exam,in which case there will be many regs in the exam that are NOT in the brb.

If you are doing the brb exam then the guy should be teaching with the brb, else how will you know what regs etc are relevant.

Mate this is IMPORTANT for you as it could result in you studying the wrong book and sitting an exam with the wrong reference material.

I would be questioning the guy to find out for sure, there are regs in the brb that are NOT in the bgb and the text has been deleted.

There are completely NEW regs in the bgb that are NOT in the brb.

I've been reading the bgb today, check reg 534.1 in the red book, this is new or amended in the bgb.

Also check reg 514.3.3, this is not in the bgb all it says is deleted by amd1.

It depends on the qualification you are doing 2382-10 is brb, 2382-20 is brb, 2382-12 is bgb

See also here:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_construction_electrical/FAQs_v2_July_2011.pdf

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/2382-12-L3A-Reqs-Electrical-Installation-BS7671-Jun08-QHB-v1.0.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
O eck Sidewinder you're starting to worry me now. Er... I cannot find the C & G number but the course is described as being a 'Level 3 Diploma in Requirements for Electrical Installations (17th edition wiring regulation)'..... I will check with the college when I have my next session with them.

It's alright for the lecturer to say it is alright to use the red book but if the exam is based on the green book you won't find some of the answers in the red version.

ok am i missing something apart from the admendment the red book is the same yes/no then if that is the case why don't they just sell the admendment.

sparky54,

There are more pages changed in the bgb than are the same as the brb so it is a major overhaul with regs deleted, sections added, standards changed, regs rearranged and others re-numbered.

The next one will be Yellow not pink though.

Hi all, Paul is of course exactly right.. My understanding is this..

Up until January, you can elect to be tested on EITHER the BRB OR the BGB and the exam will be the 2382-10 OR the 2382-12 depending on your choice.

In january, you will HAVE to use the BGB and the exam will change and be called the 2382-12 and the "old" version [2382-10] will be cancelled..

john...

yes... I would go with Sidewinder on this one but there

is a clear statement in the green book... coming into effect

January 1st 2012 page 7 but that refers to installations

and the awarding bodies should be notifying centres and

colleges when the changes to their examinations are taking

place. If the training for the 2382 has been done properly

the changes for any candidate should be almost seamless.