What Van?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles69

Reaction score
Well here we go guys, my first proper post and a big question.

What would be a good van for everyday use?

I have seen so many different types;

Rear doors, side door, double side door. LWB, SWB, high-top, the list goes on.

For a single sparks, with all his tools and some high usage spares working within a 30mile radius of home.

Is there an obvious choice?

Lease hire or buy out right? New or used don't mind.

Thanks.

Just looking into this myself. Seems the best way to go (for me anyway & reading on, hmm, other forums) is contract hire. Pay a deposit & then a monthly fee for 3 yrs & then give the van back & get another new one. Its possible to claim a lot back from the taxman doing it this way.

I've got a missus & a kid so something like a Renault Trafic with the 2 passenger seats will save me swapping the motors round on the drive & you get to drive round in a nice new van.

Try www.vansdirect.co.uk for a quote

How about this

57.jpg

Now thats a cracker

whats the monthly lease on that beauty

Doc copy and save the avatar mukka its urs :)

Thats one of them new fangled folding vans !! Space savers i think theyre called nut having a few treething problems i see :D

OK slipshod.

I guess I am the rookie here.

The van in the photo looks fine to me.

How much per week do you want for rental?

Me again.

Cheers for the replies so far.

I will be getting a gratuity from the RAF when I leave, so I will probably sell my car, put some money in the pot with that and buy a van outright to start with. One less bill to worry about while I get myself up and running.

After speaking to a few friends in various businesses, I have been told the Renault Traffic is ok. A bit big for domestic sparking but the extra space can come in handy. Another lad (plumber) uses the old favorite, Ford Transit, again probably a bit on the large side for what I need and a bit thirsty. I have been thinking about a Ford Connect or VW Caddy. I see Citreon are pushing their Berlingo as well. I guess the trade off is bigger van, loads of space = higher running costs and vice versa. What kind of security should I be thinking about on the van apart from standard alarm/immobiliser?

What do you all think about getting sign writting on the side of the van, pointless waste of money or sensible advertising?

Cheers.

Sign writing = Sensible.

Especially as you are just starting out.

I like the new shape Renault traffic's :p

Security wise. By an ex-securicor van. :D

just bought my first van 2day

N reg combo new 12 month mot 6 month tax new brakes new rear lock,roof bars

all racked out

hi...i started with an astravan,,,but when i couldnt see out of the rear window and had stuff on the passenger seat i traded up to a renault kangoo for a while........then my accountant gave me a tax bill for 12 grand !!! so i then bought a brand new renault trafic with all the extras for 13 grand,,, 3 years ago.....touch wood it has served me well and is a great van, 6 speed 1.9 turbo diesel, metallic silver, air con, cd, plylined and racked, fog lights , roof rack, cooled glovebox, electric windows, power steering, reverse sensors,central deadlocking, thoroughly recommend it......

I'll be honest, even if this does sound a bit sad.........

I actually like the new shape Renault Traffic but I've been told it would be too big for what I need and it's not the most economical van.

Does economy matter or do you just stick that on the bill and charge it to the customers?