what would you do - damaged cable.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
get a call, shower switch keeps sparking and blowing the fuse!

ive been round and 10mm line in the back of the shower isolator has blown a little insulation away (i think it was just under a bit of pressure on the side of the box), the cable itself looks ok, a bit of charing on the line and others but wipes off. there isnt enough cable to cut it back and re-terminate.

would you cut it back and put a join in the back of the box? not a massive amount of room.

or would you re-insulate the cable using heatshrink?

i couldnt fix it there and then as it needed a new switch.

cool, just wanted to double check.

the only way i can think of doing it is with a connector block, i wont get a crimper in there!

there is no way of replacing the cable outside the box as its chased in.

Heat damage to copper cable is really only bad if the copper has actually changed colour from a bright colour to a matt lighter colour.

The cable will become more brittle and prone to snap offs etc.

If the cable looks ok you could use shrink tape on it.

cool, just wanted to double check. the only way i can think of doing it is with a connector block, i wont get a crimper in there!

Yes terminations inside the shower would be ok under the regulations as this would comply within an enclosure

its not in the shower, its in the back box of the DP switch outside the bathroom.

cool, just wanted to double check. the only way i can think of doing it is with a connector block, i wont get a crimper in there!

you can join a new section on outside the accessory if necessary. jut heatshrink it once your done

the copper could be damaged by the heat, so ideally should be replaced from before heat damage
Very unlikely if its 10mmm cable

Just Heat shrink inside the back box as you suggest and it will be fine !

a1spark

Heat damage to copper cable is really only bad if the copper has actually changed colour from a bright colour to a matt lighter colour.The cable will become more brittle and prone to snap offs etc.

If the cable looks ok you could use shrink tape on it.
as in heatshrink? or is shrink tape like some sort of self amalgamating tape?

Very unlikely if its 10mmm cableJust Heat shrink inside the back box as you suggest and it will be fine !

a1spark
im pretty sure its 10mm, looked a bit big for 6mm but im having trouble judging sizes at the mo!! Blushing

i forgot to mention, the wall is pretty damp and the box is a little rusty but that shouldnt make any difference to what i do should it?

as in heatshrink? or is shrink tape like some sort of self amalgamating tape?im pretty sure its 10mm, looked a bit big for 6mm but im having trouble judging sizes at the mo!! Blushing

i forgot to mention, the wall is pretty damp and the box is a little rusty but that shouldnt make any difference to what i do should it?
you can get rubber insulating tape - search the net for 'Scotch 23'

or there is LLFA tape

6mm has solid earth, 10mm has stranded earth.

Adhesive lined heat shrink and rubber tape are water tight

If the wall is damp & the box rusty it could lead to future Insulation Resistance problems....if there is an RCD on the circuit this may trip if the damp problem gets worse

a1spark

ive advised the landlady of the damp and told her it would be a good idea to get it sorted asap as there is also a couple of sockets on the same wall.

The LLFA looks alot like self amalgamating stuff.

providing the cable looks ok under closer inspection and a good clean i think i will put a couple of layers of heatshink on.

ive advised the landlady of the damp and told her it would be a good idea to get it sorted asap as there is also a couple of sockets on the same wall.The LLFA looks alot like self amalgamating stuff.

providing the cable looks ok under closer inspection and a good clean i think i will put a couple of layers of heatshink on.
Sounds o.k. to me jib ! Applaud Smiley

a1spark

ive advised the landlady of the damp and told her it would be a good idea to get it sorted asap as there is also a couple of sockets on the same wall.The LLFA looks alot like self amalgamating stuff.

LLFA tape is a bit thicker than most self amalgamating tape.

repair sounds like easiest way

as in heatshrink? or is shrink tape like some sort of self amalgamating tape
I am old and often get mixed up, compression tape etc is what I meant, there are different types but all tested to high voltage so ideal for low voltage work.

heat shrink is ok but not as sturdy which is why I would always use it inside a fixing.

it was 6mm and too far gone so i cut it back anf put it in a connector block, insulation tape and then self amalgamating tape around it and its all fine.

advised the landlady to have a periodic done as some of the sockets were comming away from the wall and it looks like it could all do with a tidy. no apparent records of one being done either!