What's Going On At Selafield Then?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
National news today, it's closed as a "safety precaution" due to the weather.

When I worked in the nuclear industry years ago, it wasn't national news if they closed early and sent us all home on a Friday due to snow.

So am I alone in thinking there's something going on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21893435

"The site emergency control centre has been established and is managing the incident in line with well rehearsed procedures. We have implemented a phased early release of staff from the site; this is being carried out in a safe, controlled manner. There is no reason to believe that there will be any off-site nuclear, environmental or conventional safety issues associated with the incident. The priority for the team is to protect our workforce, the community and the environment."

A. Short walk from my front door.

It has changed a fair bit since the yanks and cruise delivery platforms have moved out.

Hmmm, "this is you pilot, there is nothing to worry about" 

I suspect that the press has remembered nuclear exists (possibly anti-nuclear brigade) due to arguments over building new power stations etc etc. hence any story, no matter how trivial will make the press until the next big thing comes along.

MIssweden, I hope you didn't use to hang your washing on the fence ;)

I didn't! :) But if I had wanted to i only had to cross the road.

I haven't been around there for a while but it used to be cattle and ponies grazing on the common. And there's a little industrial estate there where apparently there's a good indian resturant. How times change...

A. Short walk from my front door.

It has changed a fair bit since the yanks and cruise delivery platforms have moved out.
It was fun driving through the main gates with all the naked woman protesters each day during the summer months.

Then it got out of hand and we had to meet at Newbury racecourse and be taken in on buses.

I also worked in what was called the Black Hanger, where they parked the Blackbird when it was at the base.

I did an EICR a few months back across the road and noticed how much it had all changed.

A bit like Upper Heyford, used to be full of F1-11's now full of cars in storage.