whats the best?????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themezza

Reaction score
i am wanting to buy a new combi drill, do i go for the expensive option eg.dewalt or do i go for mid range option, do i go for 14v,18v there are so many out there on the market and with myself just starting out i need something that will last

i need your help, what would you buy or what have you got

thanks mezza

always buy the best you can afford. Buy cheap buy twice. My favorite are the makita lithium ion drills, batterys are far better than nicads. Had no issues with them and i have no mechanical sympathy :)

Look at what you are going to do with it and how much you will use it. Ryobi One+ is a decent quality range and there are loads of tools that take the same battery, cordless circ saw, torches, mini dustbuster, impact driver to name a few.

I have a Ryobi one+ 18V Drill driver and a Dewalt 18V and they are similar in what they can do but the Dewalt does 'feel' better, but cost twice as much. You can get the Ryobi drill driver 18V with a Lith-ion battery from SF for

AEG, best on the market inmo, apperantly dewalt use a lot of plastic on the internals an AEG is all metal, lifetime gaurantee on parts and batteries as well, i got 2 and i think they are much better than dewalt and no were near as expensive.

If one of my batteries goes or drill goes i phone the number given and a rep will come out to site and replace.

I would go for the Makita Li-ion stuff, I got the 18v Dewalt just before they came out with the Li-ion and the Dewalt is a bit on the heavy side. Dewalt now do Li-ion but they are only 2.0ah.

Also I have only used the hammer three times in 2 years on it, all combi's do to many hits per/min its much better to get the 2kg percussion out, ask yourself if its better to get a drill driver and use the spare cash on a battery/mains percussion.

I would go for the Makita Li-ion stuff, I got the 18v Dewalt just before they came out with the Li-ion and the Dewalt is a bit on the heavy side. Dewalt now do Li-ion but they are only 2.0ah.
Agree with that one! Being a girly, I got the 14.4V Dewalt and find it a bit of a strain at times!

Also I have only used the hammer three times in 2 years on it, all combi's do to many hits per/min its much better to get the 2kg percussion out, ask yourself if its better to get a drill driver and use the spare cash on a battery/mains percussion.
One thing they don't teach you about on these courses - tools and good ones to use and why! Would you mind explaining your statement about using the hammer action on a combi as I've just spent over 200 quid on one!!! I have got an SDS, but it weighs a bl**dy ton!

One thing they don't teach you about on these courses - tools and good ones to use and why! Would you mind explaining your statement about using the hammer action on a combi as I've just spent over 200 quid on one!!! I have got an SDS, but it weighs a bl**dy ton!
Its all to do with number of blows and the energy of each blow on a combi as with most high speed corded drills with a hammer option they hit fast and light at high rpm which results in your bit getting hot and burning out. where as the sds drills battery or corded are designed to hit hard and less times per revolution thus being more efficient and chipping through.

Here are the specs of 2 drills

Dewalt DC925 18v

Speed 1 - (0-7650 Blows per/min) @ 450rpm

Speed 2 - (0-25500 Blows per/min) @ 1500rpm

Speed 3 - (0-34000 Blows per/min) @ 2000rpm

SDS 2kg Hammer

(0-4000 Blows per/min) @ 1100rpm

You mention having a combi is it one of these?

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/DWBrochureStorage/safety/ProductRecall_1.pdf

Just for info:

The AEG, Atlas Copco, and Milwaukee tools are all the same manufacture, though at slightly different finish spec. They all use the same batteries:)

I had an AEG 18V combi 3 years ago. Brilliant piece of kit. A chippie friend had the milwaukee, and burnt the brush housings (

Milwaukee are bloody good tools, so are Elu if you can find them, Makita are excellent, but you would not get me parting with my cash for a De-walt (B&D) in a fancy jacket & yes their cogs are all plastic.

Different angle.......

Where are you going to use your nice expensive kit ???

if you are domestic house bashing get the quality kit

if you work on site with every tom, **** and bobski buy the cheapest that will do the job.....so when it gets nicked it doesnt hurt so much

Milwaukee are bloody good tools, so are Elu if you can find them, Makita are excellent, but you would not get me parting with my cash for a De-walt (B&D) in a fancy jacket & yes their cogs are all plastic.
I had a Milwaukee sds drill for about three years. Hardly used it. It stopped working and as it cost about

everyone has their own opinion about makes.

I currently run a range of makes: dewalt, metabo, bosch, makita

Majority is dewalt - i have about 10 different 18v tools. Perhaps not the best, but they are doing me well. My mate runs a similar makita set up - his drill has packed in with gearbox issues.

I have known and seen hilti gear break, and need repairing.

My metabo drill which was meant to be one

of the best, has been repaired twice. My mates metabo got binned as it broke. The story goes on...

Like i said everyone has their own opinion.

D.