whats the crack then?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
ive been told that if you do any electrical work in.....say a kitchen ,you have to make sure that the rest of the house is upto scratch too.i know you have to be a registered part p spark to self certify but surely you only have make sure the circuit you have worked is upto standard along with the earthing.

ive been told that if you do any electrical work in.....say a kitchen ,you have to make sure that the rest of the house is upto scratch too.i know you have to be a registered part p spark to self certify but surely you only have make sure the circuit you have worked is upto standard along with the earthing.
Only in terms of Main bonding, if adding a new circuits back to the board..

As long as the spark has 2391/16/17th edition he can self certify..

What exactly are you planning on doing?

a new ring for the kitchen. seems daft if you have to upgrade the whole house if your putting a new ring in for the kitchen. upgrading the earth bonding is the norm.

When you do new work, you have to make sure that the work you are doing and what you are connecting to is safe. This includes the supply conductors, CU, RCD for sockets, main earth and main equpotential bonding to your services. If the new work includes changing the CU then you have to test the whole installation which is fed from that new CU.

i understand that if you change the CU you have to test the whole wiring,its the adding stuff thats gets me.so if you wanted to add a spur off an existing ring main you have to test that ring main to make sure its safe to spur off and not already a rats nest of spurs already,add the spur then re test it along with the earthing and the rcd thats protecting it.what about the lights downstairs and up stairs and the sockets upstairs assuming its on another mcb and any other wiring that hasnt been touched are you obligated to check all that too and if nessary fix it? im assuming the 17th regs are already in force here too BTW

You only test the circuit you are working on and the parts of the installation that supply it including earthing. There would be no need to test the lighting, oven, or any other socket circuit as per your example

thats what i wanted to here. :p i thought it sounded daft.
Hello Dan.

(not sure if I already said Hi to you on any other posts... but who cares.. HI DAN!!!)

You are correct in your thoughts so far..

But these few extra bits may just help you cement it into place refering to some of the regs that are relevant...

The basic crack is as follows..

It is perfectly acceptable to do an alteration addition or amendment where the modified circuit now complies with current regulations.. But also leave other parts of the installation, which are not directly related to the alteration/addition which do not comply with current regs.

DON

Thanks S L its nice to actually get info for a change i normally hit a brick wall with sparkys. thats exactly how i thought things worked but had been told different and didnt want to come a cropper at the first hurdle.ive been taking the 17th as bedtime reading while i wait to sit the exam,seems to get me to sleep pretty quick;)

ive been taking the 17th as bedtime reading while i wait to sit the exam,seems to get me to sleep pretty quick;)

:^O :^O:^O

Thanks S L its nice to actually get info for a change i normally hit a brick wall with sparkys. thats exactly how i thought things worked but had been told different and didnt want to come a cropper at the first hurdle.ive been taking the 17th as bedtime reading while i wait to sit the exam,seems to get me to sleep pretty quick;)
oh blimey... :|

Its was a good job I didn't quote anything from 'Section 753' or 'appendix 15'...... :(

I don't want to spoil the plot for you! :| :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

I would just say that the plot does twist a bit..

First you think its the "Skilled person" whodunnit....

But then when they get bumped off suspicion falls on the "Competent person"...

However I personally think the "Instructed person" person is in it up to his neck!!

and I do know it was done with some steel conduit at arms reach with no barriers to prevent direct contact!!

And they hid the weapon in the ducting!!!

But I am not going to let on any more at all!X( X(

As you will learn it is not uncommon for people miss quote or completely ignore regs & stuff...

At the end of the day. when you are doing your jobs, You are the one who will sign your certificates...

and as long as you can justify you reasoning for how & why you have done or omitted certain aspects of the installation then you are OK! ;) ; )

I have a few of those key regs highlighted for easy reference...

And I do actually use & show them to customers occasionally when they ask why I am doing certain things..

As a quick example..

I went to quote or a job last week (just some extra sockets)..Asked to see gas & water bonding..

Customer just moved in didn't even know where stop tap was? couldn't find it.. then I had to get off to another job...

Gas bond was all OK.. so I said I will provided a separate cost for Earth bond to water..

If needs doing will add it to other work if I get the job..

If she finds the stop tap later & bond is there, then all OK not cost needed!

She did say another Spark who had been round to quote..Didn't even ask to check the bonding???

I showed her my regs book with 131.8 highlighted explained the reasons for checking.

Had phone call on Friday.. I got the job.. nice little four figure sum! :D :D:D

I have a gut feeling It was that extra little thorough check that swayed her choice of who to employ for the work!

I think It always helps to have a dozen key regs highlighted for this very reason..

easy to pick & use & you get to remember them off the top of you head also!

As you know mate - My Wife and Children love it - BUT...

I watched it this evning and blinking "Liked It". BUT...

It isn't the first time that I have watched and liked it. ]:) (Dr Who - before someone tries to be smutty). ;)

nice work:^O 4 figure sum for some extra sockets and bonding i must delve deeper into this sparky lark;)

nice work:^O 4 figure sum for some extra sockets and bonding i must delve deeper into this sparky lark;)
Well its a good news:) -- bad news.. :(

8 extra sockets.. 6 downstairs... 2 upstairs

materials shouldn't be too much:) :D

BUT..

downstairs ALL concrete floors!.. up & over wall chasing jobbies:(

two of the downstairs are in the kitchen sinkin flush into existing tiles.. :eek:

need to go gentle.. can't damage the surrounding tiles.. But then... just keep thinkin

Blimey, why didn't you say at the opening post......

:(