What's your go-to downlight?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Have seen many others using the JCC V50 fire rated downlights and highly commending them but they are slightly more expensive than others.

I've used many LAP CosmosEco Fire rated downlight from Screwfix with no issues so far.

What do you use?

Nothing that has a built-in.. none replaceable lamp...!

Basically any suitably cost effective downlight, that can take a replaceable GU10 LED lamp.. and has the finish/Style that my customer requires..

and is available locally for me to complete the job, get paid and move on..

With minimal risk that I will get called back to a failed lamp..

And if I do, its just a 10min swap of a GU10 lamp, rather than a replace a whole fitting and then try to get a refund from my supplier for the premature failure integral fitting!

Anything that has a clip to allow the lowering of the GU10 lamp and not having to fish around inside the lamp holder to line up the lamp with the bayonet fitting. 🤯

Last edited:
what @SPECIAL LOCATION and @Murdoch said
Integrated lamps are
not economical
Not cost effective
Don't save more
A pile,of festering, smelly , slightly yellow tinged, splodge of rancid dog faeces. Anyone who is responsible for designing these pile of utter "gusset stains" should be dry reamed daily with their entire product.
Others may have a different opinion. They are wrong and will have to deal with the result of thir poor choices.

Last time I fitted any ....approx 25 on a job.....they started failing and I got YESSS to pay my time to replace every one. Oh, and the diresct replacement didn't fit and all the connectors had to be changed. Took them back to YESSS and there were TWO dustbins full of returns. It was a known problem that was hushed up

• REALLY ?
Reactions: UNG
And then there are sealed floodlights - they are almost as bad.

In 8 years I have had to replace 3 x 10W LED's with PIR's on our house.

Can't wait for a LED floodlight to come out with a customer changeable LED in it

Halogen flood lamp anyone ? might be even considered green again...recyclable as well.

Robus fixed have never given me any problems ,however JCC failed me miserably and I wouldn't buy any of their products again.
Like many of you though I prefer to buy gu10 changeable ones if customer is happy with them .Cheap and cheerful seems to win had some opus spike lights last week 8.00 quid a pop plus lamps with a good R07 3 metre lead and a nice sealing gasket.
What's not to like ! .

Anyone that works on their own and wants repeat work will only fit GU10 downlights I’m guessing. If I’m working for a builder and the customer wants integrated lights then either the customer or builder can buy them and take responsibility- failure is then mommy problem.

I use the JCC ones and also do not install the ones with integrated lamps.
That way lamps are consumable items and are not guaranteed.

A few years ago I asked this forum about best choice for LED downlighters and the consensus was Collingwood Halers an all in luminaire. Collingwood did me a plan and illumination calculations and in all I fitted about 150 of them in our refurb build. Dead easy to install expensive yes but I did get a good deal from my local CEF and hopefully with their 7 year warranty won't have the hassle of changing them. As for LED floods what I have had are a load of Chinese rubbish with basically false claims of IP ratings it is the sensors that mainly fail. Have swopped some of them now as they fail for Steinel units.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.