When is a floor non-load bearing?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Hi all, my first post on this forum!

Well down to business........ I have a house built around 1905, the walls are brick all the way up and support the major structural loads of the first floor and the roof. However the ground-floor floor is supported on brick pillars and the joists supporting the boards are not tied into the walls at all. So, effectively, the floor 'floats' and receives no structural loading at all apart from self-imposed load of the floorboards and what ever furniture is placed upon it.

Are these joists then classed as 'load-bearing' under Part A of the building regulations and therefore need to be notched or holes drilled to meet the Approved Document or can you drill holes (50mm down from the top of course!) of greater size than the 0.25 x joist depth and outside of the 0.25 - 0.4 x span of support?

Thanks in advance guys and gals. :D

Yes it was being a little pedantic about what 'load bearing' actually meant but I was wondering what Document A specifically meant.

Of course, clipping under the beams! Doh!

Sorry, I'm industrial / commercial so I don't know the fine mechanics/trade skills of residential work. X(

Thanks!

Latest posts