When you have one of those "Uh-oh" moments.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call this morning from my tame plumber, on a new build - he`s just finishing off. Customers had been "iffy" when he arrived, as they`d switched the hot water on last Friday; and the heating hadn`t gone off since, no matter what they did!

Now, the plumber spoke to me about the jobs months back - they needed a 4 channel programmer. I suggested one, which was fitted. The leccies were apparently ex-Ford plant industrial boys, who`ve done their "part P".

So, Plumber wants me to have a butchers, and down I go.

The install is as follows:

18KW "ideal" wall mounted gas boiler in utility, feeding airing cupboard.

Airing cupboard has programmer, unvented cylinder, pump, 2 S/F/S and 4 zone valves. One is upstairs rads, via a t`stat on the landing. One is bathroom towel rails. One is DHW, via tank stat, and the fourth feeds back to the utility, to a 5 zone wet UFH system, supplied by a local S/F/S, but only has 1 `stat attached

The leccies had "forgotten" to run the wiring in during 1st fix, so I`ve got 3 core flexes on everything except boiler - that has 2. :red card

If you`ve got a 3 core flex feeding an electronic stat, it needs a neutral - so they`ve sleeved the CPCs brown.Wet Fish

When told there were 5 thermostats for downstairs, they said "nah - we don`t need that many" - and booted all 5 zones from 1 stat.

The 3 spurs meant that any of the wiring centres had a live inside, unless you knew you had to switch off ALL of the spurs first (not marked.)

Mind you, the "new" CU they`d fitted isn`t labelled either - no MCB labels, RCD test labels, next inspection labels etc.

NO EIC (not even a MWC) - "Oh, we tell the council, and they give you that" they said.

The job was (ahem) finished 3 months ago - no compliance certificate has been issued to the customer:Spam2.

They weren`t happy when I explained the realities - I suggested they have `em back to rectify - "No, we`d like you to do it." :Applaud :Applaud:Applaud

Who do these R-soles think they are?? :red cardbad day explodeX(

(edit - photos to come)

Unfortunately this is more common nationwide.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have been to properties that have been wired up by a couple of numpties.

I had a call today the lady works from home and is very very high up, the phone and pc always on I had to wait 45 minutes for her to finish a phone call just to ask her if she knew which breaker tuened off the supply to the circuit I was working on. Full rewire 10 month ago no EIC no labels other than the ones supplied with the CU.