Where to look for an apprenticeship?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedo

Reaction score
As title says - I can't possible wait until September for the new term to start...

Where can I look/ask?

Hi Freedo,

You are looking at starting with a spark, are you?

And then doing two nights a week in college? Is that what you are looking on doing?

Have you got any qualifications and or experience at the moment?

May I ask how old you are?

Regards,

Welshy.

Starting as a sparky, yes...

Yes,

No experience as of yet but I do have GCSE's if that helps?! :eek:

:)

It was never an apprenticeship after all. A friend of a friend was offering a job for a fully qualified sparky. My friend got it mixed up some how.

hi m8 you need to speak to a JTL ASSESSOR at your local college they will sort you out with the best way forward for you

Good luck Regards Darron

hello everyone

im coming to the end of my c&g 2330 evening course at oldham college, just starting to get a bit worried now as ive emailed a few electrical contractors and agencys and ive had no reply off any of them as regards getting employment as an electricians mate. im 33 years old, multi drop driver with a young family. i know its going to be a struggle at first but its not like im a complete novice with tools (ie conduit, trunking, chasing out walls,etc,etc) i am quite handy with tools. what id like to know is at 33 are employers going to think no way or hes going to turn up for work everyday as he needs to pay the morgage.

maybe im worring over nothing but as ive payed over

Hello Mark, Welcome to the forum.

I hope employers won't say No Way, because I too have a young family and I will be 34, finishing the 2330.

As long as you show willing, they can see that you are mature, with a family and mortgage.

Good Luck. :)

the problem is that as u havent got on site experience as it where ,they dont like to leave u alone in case u muck up ,and its them that have to pay to rectify any mistakes u make ,so then they dont want to employ u as they can get an apprentice for almost naff all and use them the way they want without having to pay full wages ........... so how about starting ur own business or go self employed and subcontract to larger electrical companies? just a thought :)

From a Personal POV, I would rather pay extra wages, and have a mature person working for me, that has a family and a mortgage.

They are more likely to be reliable, and most likely to be trusted on their own, on a job.

Regards,

Welshy.

thanks for the advice, as for the self employed route. i wouldnt know where to start with that . but it is a option. just worries me that starting up on your own with no experience is a bit of a ballsy move. been thinking about doing agency work at weekend. is there a market for weekend work? just so i can get the on site skills that are needed. or even work as an electricians mate at weekend. do electricians work at weekend? or are they like builders 4 day week

Personally - I would get experience first.

Like you say - Go as a Spark's Mate - on the weekends, even if you have to offer your services for free. (if you can afford to)

Then, once experience is built up over time, thengo solo.

I would also do work for myself too, Non-notifiable jobs in the evenings/days off/weekends to built up your reputation and client base.

:)

i think thats the route to go, sparks mate at weekend. if i can get any money out of it will be a bonus. i suppose sacrifices have to be made at this level, its not like its going to be a short term career. i do plan to do it for the rest of my working life:O

Try putting up an add offering your services in some local electrical wholesalers, both large and small ones. Ask behind the counter as most regulars like a good chin wag with the staff, and they would know of any openings. You may also see adverts from other sparks looking for employees.

i am on the 2330 level 3 course and did the same as many others wrote and phoned local companies looking for a start either full time or weekend the only offer i got from about 50 enquires was full time mon to fri on a little bit more than an apprentice because i am a mature student. so having a mortgage and every thing else that goes with running a house i politely turned him down. now my thoughts are that this is all i will be offered so when i have done 2330 3 and 17th along with 2391 i plan to go it alone. i work all week for a large company (not electricians) so i do non notifiables at the weekend/spare time to get a bit of experience. also on my course out of 16 blokes only 1 has found a job with an electrical firm and thats because its his mates. so its a long hard road but hopefully in a few years it will be worth it.

My thoughts.............................

Although many contractors moan about all the foreigners taking the work, they are happy to employ them themselves as cheap labour. Why pay a proper wage to a part of fully qualified sparky.

If you came to me fully qualified you would probably need constant supervision due to lack of experience. For that reason alone any newbie would be on a low wage until they have proven themselves

i agree with your thoughts, although i would of completed 2330 level 3 i have a small amount of electrical work under my belt and so therefore i would expect to be shown how to do some of the work and be supervised until the person employing me is happy with my work and so receive a low pay but i did point out that i do not intend to go down this route and neither are many of the others on the same course, even the lecterers have told us get a bit of experience with a few rewires and then set up on your own.it might not be ideal but it beats

if you want decent ones that understand english, are not about to go to prison,will turn up as and when required, do a good days work for the fair pay they will receive.did i miss something out.