which pipe do i bond?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
property has no earth bond on the gas pipe so need to add a main earth bond for the gas pipe,its an external meter in one of them brown boxes and the gas pipe runs round the front of the house braches off into the front room then carrys on round the house another 8m and brancehs off into the utility room for the boiler then carrys off round the side of the house into the kitchen total run of about 25m externally.now regs say to bond 600mm at point of entry into the building,but which bloody one? consumer unit and electric meter are both outside the house on the far side, opposite side of the house to the gas meter.last gas run is right next to consumer unit.any help welcome

Personally I would take it to the gas meter. It should certainly be before any branch work (t's). By the sound of it the pipe runs most the way round the house anyway soooooo, If it's not an easy run inside. Either tie-wrap to pipe outside or run in some 20mm plaggy conduit along side pipe.

Hi Dan

If most of the pipe is out side the house before it makes many branches off, Is it possible for you run a bond to the actual meter position.

Macca

Guiness Drink

the first branch is about 2m from the gas meter.ive never seen gas pipes run round a house like this before.ive had another look in my big red book and i cant do either of what it asks(external meter bond at point of entry into the property before any branches because it brances off outside before point of entry)

I'm with Barx, bond in the gas meter box.

As for cable tie-wraping to the pipework dont use it for an niceic assessment I got picked up for doing the same thing (had to promise I'd go back & clip the bonding cable or use 20mm conduit).

I'm with Barx, bond in the gas meter box.As for cable tie-wraping to the pipework dont use it for an niceic assessment I got picked up for doing the same thing (had to promise I'd go back & clip the bonding cable or use 20mm conduit).
yeah and did you go back there then. :^O

property has no earth bond on the gas pipe so need to add a main earth bond for the gas pipe,its an external meter in one of them brown boxes and the gas pipe runs round the front of the house braches off into the front room then carrys on round the house another 8m and brancehs off into the utility room for the boiler then carrys off round the side of the house into the kitchen total run of about 25m externally.now regs say to bond 600mm at point of entry into the building,but which bloody one? consumer unit and electric meter are both outside the house on the far side, opposite side of the house to the gas meter.last gas run is right next to consumer unit.any help welcome
You can also choose the alternative, which is to bond at ALL the entrances to the property. I wouldn`t; I`d go to the meter cabinet. However, it IS an acceptable solution, if necessary in the future.

KME

Awwwww, bless.

Cute new avatar mate :)

(looks like it`s shrunk, somewhat! Have you been letting Apache mess with its chromosomes or something equally technical?)

Where`ve you been `till now? Dossing off???

Awwwww, bless. Cute new avatar mate :)
Its my new Anti-flak shelter, any sign of any incoming prob's, abuse, etc..

I can retreat.. RUN AWAY!! :p :p

(looks like it`s shrunk' date=' somewhat! Have you been letting Apache mess with its chromosomes or something equally technical?)

[/quote']

Standing further back ... makes things look smaller!!! doh!!

Thats how mr N.T. told me he fits his 19" CU under small stair cupboards!

stand further back, perhaps from the top of some steps and its looks real small! fits a treat! ;)

Where`ve you been `till now? Dossing off???
a) sorting filing etc.. my paperwork.

B) sorting a load of rubbish for a trip to the tip first thing.. {kids off school/college, half term... so they are having a sort out of loads of accumulated junk & rubbish!}

Its my new Anti-flak shelter, any sign of any incoming prob's, abuse, etc..I can retreat.. RUN AWAY!! :p :p

:^O :^O:^O

Standing further back ... makes things look smaller!!! doh!!

Thats how mr N.T. told me he fits his 19" CU under small stair cupboards!

stand further back, perhaps from the top of some steps and its looks real small! fits a treat! ;)

:S:S:S:S:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:x]:)Guiness Drink

a) sorting filing etc.. my paperwork.

B) sorting a load of rubbish for a trip to the tip first thing.. {kids off school/college, half term... so they are having a sort out of loads of accumulated junk & rubbish!}
Ah....paperwork........yes. I rememeber

.Dan bond inside the gas meter box, and dont tiewrap to pipes. nic pulled me on it lasy year ,(tiewrap on water), dave