Who can I report this to

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just my point.  Trading Standards have stopped dealing with the public.  The public can now only access Trading Standards through the local Authority which I have done.  However, there is no facility to send any photographs and therefore I can't explain to them how serious this is.  They have given me a case No. but I have heard nothing.

What you call "EIRC" is actually "EICR",

Electrical Installation Condition Report.

An EICR is one of various documents specified within BS7671 wiring regulations.

BS7671 wiring regulations are non-statutory..

BUT...

For installing a new consumer unit within England or Wales,

As well as an "EIC"  Electrical Installation Certificate..

you should also have been issued with a Part=P building regulations compliance certificate.

Which IS statutory..

AND...

if you have paid any trades-person for any goods or services..

then you can seek redress via Trading Standards for negligent work.

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office 

Guinness
Oh sorry, I have just re-read and understand now about the statutory and non-statutory bit.  Can I get these documents from the 2nd electrician who fixed it?  I'm in a right mess now......:-0

That's just my point.  Trading Standards have stopped dealing with the public.  The public can now only access Trading Standards through the local Authority which I have done.  However, there is no facility to send any photographs and therefore I can't explain to them how serious this is.  They have given me a case No. but I have heard nothing.

These things can be very long winded, and/or at the back of a very long queue..

as with many things in the legal world,  they often take time...

(and add in delays due to Covid..!!!)

BUT.. If you have a case number then you should be able to contact them for an update...?

Plus..

Within the law generally, no matter how you are complaining..

Standard practice is that the original contractor has to be given opportunity to rectify their mistake, error, negligence, failings, incompetence etc.. first..

Before anyone would stand any chance to prosecute a shoddy contractor,

there generally has to be proof that you have formally complained to them,

but they have refused to address the problem.

Sending photographs would probably carry little weight without some written report/evidence backing up any technical discrepancies..

as the person receiving them may well have zero knowledge of the specifics of your compliant.

Several years ago I was involved with a customer who had a dodgy contractor do some dangerous work..

They got trading standards involved, and it was over 12months before it was resolved.

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess the power was all connected, but they couldn't figure out how to stop the RCD's from tripping...

so cut the earths...

join neutrals together... 

Then run off into the sunset on your horse with cowboy hat flapping in the wind!!!

You have been completely ripped-off, stitched-up, taken-for-a-ride and basically pi55ed-on by this danger to the public masquerading as a tradesperson!!!

:shakehead
You're spot on there!