Who's your wholesaler?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Who's your favourite wholesaler and why?
I see a lot of sparks love CEF but I cannot figure out what it is? Others knock down Screwfix and Toolstation for some reason. Is it because they are more open to the general public?
I personally use Screwfix as my preferred as they are super quick and better prices than most.

Look forward to hearing your moans.

whoever has the cheapest prices on what i want, sometimes one place is cheaper, sometimes the other place is. usually get most stuff online and delivered. often use screwfix & toolstation too. sometimes best prices of twin & earth. CEF is only used if im desperate

Most people that say Screwfix are cheap are comparing to CEF , who are generally the most expensive,
IME

Oh, the other thing is, it seems almost anyone can get an account at shitties , that may also be a reason why they use them.

Who's your favourite wholesaler and why?
I see a lot of sparks love CEF but I cannot figure out what it is?

I can't figure out how you know the preferences of a lot of sparks?
Do you stand outside various wholesalers with a clipboard doing surveys?

I have no idea what preferences others have.. but anyone who sticks to a single "favourite" is a bit of a plonker IMHO..

loads of factors to consider..

As some wholesalers have better deals with certain brand makes... (and/or their own product brand range)..
So if you are wanting to do additions that must match existing product ranges..
e.g. specific manufactures RCBO to add in their CU..
or replacing a faulty decorative accessory or adding a new accessory that needs to match existing..
Its no good using a supplier who doesn't stock that range!

Some suppliers appear to concentrate primarily on single-phase domestic type kit... (No chance if you are after 3-phase gear).

Some suppliers only do standard pre-cut cable lengths which may be ok...
But not if you are after a bespoke cut-to-order length!

Waiting around for deliveries can be a pain in the rear....
So suppliers with outlets either close to home, or close to the job can be more cost effective through less wasted time, even if a product may be more expensive..

Availability and no wasted trips trying to collect materials is a key point in my book, so any supplier I use would need to have a decent website where you can check cost and stock availability by branch online.
(Needed a couple of PAR38 ES lamps to finish a job off last Tuesday, in this instance CEF were the only place locally I could find with them in stock.. But they were more than double the price of TLC-direct!.. customer was happy to pay, so got them finished job got paid job-done!).

Local physical outlets are a bonus over on-line-only suppliers if you need to take a faulty item back!

If you are doing pre-planed work, where you have more time to order & collect stock, you probably have more time to shop around for better deals.. But if you are doing a maintenance fault call-out, speed of availability may be more significant factor of choice over cost per item..

Throughout the year different suppliers will have various promotions, deals, multi-buy discounts, that can make normally expensive items more cost effective..

etc..
etc..

so all purchases are assessed on their own individual merits..

Or.. Short answer.. I don't have a favourite.
:cool: