Why is my inverter pulling from the grid?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarLover

Reaction score
My Growatt SPH3000 Inverter is pulling from the grid when it can pull 3 kWh from the batteries but isn’t? Is it a bug or a setting? See pic attached.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• B6F43560-D1FF-4B0A-A484-EB1C5CD9F0E8.jpeg
    B6F43560-D1FF-4B0A-A484-EB1C5CD9F0E8.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 22
looks like it hasn't been setup correctly and is trying to maintain a higher level of charge in the battery. Give the Growatt UK techinical helpline a call.

looks like it hasn't been setup correctly and is trying to maintain a higher level of charge in the battery. Give the Growatt UK techinical helpline a call.
Will do - thanks

Its in Load first mode & should only switch to Battery First for 4 hours

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 11.29.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 11.29.05.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 11.28.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 11.28.19.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
I have growatt products , and I used to be able to call the UK tech chap, they had a few over the years so not sure if Ben is still there guy but they are all helpfull. On my system you have to go into the maintance side which requires another differant password.i would advise talking to them first before playing with settings .

Thanks Gian

I’ve been getting no reply from Growatt support

I’m very technical myself & understand all the extra settings under the “growatt20220523” today password 😁

Coming from a software background I highly suspect that the v1.0 firmware needs an update as feels like a software problem.

If growatt ever respond I’ll let you know but thanks for your advice.

Growatt have confirmed

“THe maximum AC output power of your SPH3000(PV+ battery) is 3kW, so if the load is greater than 3kW, e.g. 4kW, the remaining 1kW would be supported by the grid.”

Clearly my installer was trying to get away with an inverter below the DNO approval level of 3.68kwh buy installing an SPH3000 whereas my 6.5kWh array needs a SPH6000 & DNO approval

Hoping my installer will apply for DNO approval to get a 5000/6000 model installed

that really is undersizing things! They could have at least intsalled a 3.68 (16A) inverter. You can install a larger unit with export limitation so that it doesn;t choke energy to your battey, but complies with DNO.

that really is undersizing things! They could have at least intsalled a 3.68 (16A) inverter. You can install a larger unit with export limitation so that it doesn;t choke energy to your battey, but complies with DNO.
Ok guys you can exceed the 3.68 limit . You just need to apply to your dno . I myself have exceeded this and had to pay £380 to my dno for apparently for them to upgrade there network,well I think that was bull. But anyway I have 10kw system.