Wifi Access Point

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Hu guys/ladies, fed up with carp wifi in the house so i have successfully installed an access point to improve the signal upstairs.

Guy at the local computer shop wasnt much help as he doesnt know much about networks etc just happy to sell me the gear.

At present temporarily got a cat5 trailing up the stairs so the mrs not too happy with me! However wanted to make sure i got everything working before installing the cable properly.

After few hours head scratching, reading manuals and internet search i think everything is working properly fingers crossed as sky broadband kept on dropping out when i tried it the first time.

If i get any more problems i will have to speak with the forums Digital, Electronics and Komputer Expert for further assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:
first up,

I do hope you got an edimax

has its own inbuilt software/firmware so isnt reliant on your router to configure it,

2nd, wi-fi is the work of the hacker, use at your own risk, NEVER EVER use it for anything confidential.

lock it down

lock the mac addresses of everything you allow to use it

use a password of at LEAST 22 characters , [rainbow tables only go to 22 characters! ]

do NOT permit your router or AP to ping back unless you actually know where the ping is from

loads of other stuff, but that is a start.

So you already have wi fi, but the signal is poor in some parts of the house.

So just move your existing router to somewhere more central?

Either that or RS towers is a huge place.

Tp link router setup as access point. Not really sure what the best stuff to get, perhaps i should have asked you guys beforehand!

I think i can assign what mac addresses can access the internet, possibly in parental settings.

So you already have wi fi, but the signal is poor in some parts of the house.

So just move your existing router to somewhere more central?

Either that or RS towers is a huge place.

My house isnt huge and the wifi signal drops low only about 5metres away from sky router which is in the lounge. I Get better wifi signal on my mobi wifi analyser from neighbours routers.

Have messed about with sky router channels before and had sky check it before with no success

totally agree Badger

pisses off the wifes mates son somewhat when he comes round, but, thats his problem, the only mac adresses allowed into our wi-fi are the wii and the wifes playbook, and the PW is changed whenever I go on the main PC and take the feeling, I then change the other stuff and NO-one else knows the pw.

or my option of cat5/6 to all rooms of the property for a direct secure connection and f :eek: :O k the wifi off completely
Yeah i did that at my old house, but need wifi on phones as well as computer.

My house isnt huge and the wifi signal drops low only about 5metres away from sky router which is in the lounge. I Get better wifi signal on my mobi wifi analyser from neighbours routers.

Have messed about with sky router channels before and had sky check it before with no success
have they any teenagers?

if so, whats the chances of them hacking yours?

very good Id say.........

I suppose thats the penalty from using carp kit.

My immediate neighbours are fine, however the guy (now a girl!) up the road is a bit computer techno wiz...he/she freaks me out!

Robin,

Im far from a techno whizz, and any idiot in the land could use BackTrack ,

its so easy its scary, its what put me off wi-fi for life when I saw what I could do, never mind a techno-whizz

deffo NOT

or anything else that involved money,

or personal details,

google [other search engines are available] backtrack

it will scare you what is out there,

have a look at rainbow tables too, and you only think your pw is secure...............

deffo NOT

or anything else that involved money,

or personal details,

google [other search engines are available] backtrack

it will scare you what is out there,

have a look at rainbow tables too, and you only think your pw is secure...............
Ok mate will look tomorrow

Latest posts