Wifi into office/man cave

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,
Just after some ideas please, the customer has an outbuilding which is used as a man cave, but is large and could be an office. Power comes from garage so All fine with that. The issue is the wifi, no real direct route to hardwire from house to MC, probably only 6m away so not massive distance. first was to try a outdoor socket with built in wifi (ive one at mine and not bad for what i need it for), not really strong enough, so ethernet cable ran from switch to external tp link eap 225, also tried the ubiquiti LR and Pro but not as good for some reason. Now this has a great signal all over the large garden and decent speeds, man cave has ok coverage too, but only when the doors are open, shut the doors it's gone to basically nothing. Not sure what the doors are made of, but not lead, construction is wood but we'll constructed and well insulated.
What I'm after (if something is available) is possibly a wifi router type thing that can have an antenna located on the outside of the MC so it picks the signal up from the external booster and pipes Internet in into the MC.
Any help or pointers would be great

try ethernet over power adaptors, uses the mians cables and more reliable than wifi. Trouble with wifi is that it relies to some extent on bouncing the signal off the walls in your house, so go outdoors and the signals get very weak very quick.

Yeah i have richard-the-ninth thankyou, I was after recommendations from a friendly forum and what people have had joy with, no need for the sarcasm, this place has changed!

Last edited:
Cheers binky, not had very good experience of the plug in power adapters but maybe they have improved, does it matter on the length of cable, as the actual length will be very long?

Yeah i have richard-the-ninth thankyou, I was after recommendations from a friendly forum and what people have had joy with, no need for the sarcasm, this place has changed!

My reply was not sarcastic, sorry if you took it that way.
I do not know your clients budget, but the link I posted gave lots of options / prices and "which is best"

Dont understand why you said you tried the ubiquitin, I have mine installed in the roof of my 2story house and it gives me to my garage which is 7mts from my house close to 50 from my full speed 63mbps in the house? that office must be stopping the signal, big time?

Last edited:
Dont understand why you said you tried the ubiquitin, I have mine installed in the roof of my 2story house and it gives me to my garage which is 7mts from my house close to 50 from my full speed 63mbps in the house ? that office must be stopping the single big time?
It might well have foil backed insulation?

They have improved an awful lot over the years. Longest run I've used them on was around 100m.
They are diabolical things. Mains cable is not designed to carry data and they radiate like mad and cause RF interference over a wide area. Also consider the security issue.

They are diabolical things. Mains cable is not designed to carry data and they radiate like mad and cause RF interference over a wide area. Also consider the security issue.
never had any problems with them, and they are paired so I don't think there's any security issues.

Cheers binky, not had very good experience of the plug in power adapters but maybe they have improved, does it matter on the length of cable, as the actual length will be very long?
I have used many different makes of powerline adaptors over the last 10 years in our bungalow an old build with solid brick walls. The last 2-3 years I have TP-Link and their latest are excellent I would add, you do not always get what you pay for but TP-Link are not cheap but they work for me where WiFi does not.

Might not be designed for it, but certainly can be used. I'm sure a company in Scotland used to offer Broadband connection of the mains incomer. I feel sure the network operators also send a lot of data over the power lines.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bryanh- I use the ubiquiti myself and have always been fantastic, just for some reason they just don't want to penatrate the MC.
David R Connell - which one do you currently use?
Cheers

I have a mains link to the garage and then an ethernet cable to an old router, located in the shed at the end of the garage, configured as an WiFi access point (I seem to have quite a few old routers). This gets me WIfi to the end of the garden about 150ft away.

I ran an ethernet cable from our main router to our man cave at the bottom of our garden. A run of about 55m. We lose a bit over that length but not too much.
I took the cable into a socket. A lead connects this to a gigabit switch and more leads from that feed a smart TV, a wireless access point and a games console. It works great.

To solve a dead spot in my Sons bedroom I bought these

Deco

Absolutely fantastic products. We have a decking area next to our conservatory. If we use wifi from the router there our speed is in single figures. Using a deco plugged into the conservatory the speed is the same as from the router. Even at the top of the garden (about 15m away) it doesn't drop enough to cause any major issues.

Phil

Latest posts