Wifi triple light switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric 69

Reaction score
Question on light switch wiring I'd appreciate any help on.

I have a new WiFi triple light switch for the kitchen. There are three lights in the kitchen, two switched on and off by one each from the existing triple switch, the third light switched on and off by from this switch and another over by the back door. 

Existing triple switch has three sets of common/1/2. The two single control lights have live feeds to their commons, and a live out on 2, all wires Brown, nothing in 3. They also have a short brown wire connecting the two commons. The double controlled light has a live in to common and a grey wire out of 2 and black out of 3. 
All the neutrals are bunched together outside the switch, as are the earth's.

New light switch has L L1 L2 L3 N E. 

I'm thinking I could put all three live feeds currently going the three commons, bunch them together into L in the new switch. And each of the live outs into L1 L2 & L3. 

However for the two way light would I put the grey in L3 and leave out the black? Losing the ability to switch on of at the other switch by the back door? Or can I wire it to keep that switch working?

I'd also put a short neutral from the bunched neutrals to the new switch's N input, and the same with the bunched earth's.

Is this correct? Any advice or corrections welcome.

Your wifi switch can't do 2 way switching so you would have to disconnect the second light switch for third light and only have it controlled by the wifi switch.

from OP, looks like his 2 way switch has only the strappers. a bit of reconfig. is needed.

Good point. If that other light is fed from a different circuit then it won't be possible to use this switch.
Thanks for replies. Happy to disconnect second switch for third light if need be. How do I find out if third light is fed from a different circuit though and why would that stop me using the WiFi stitch?

Or alternatively could I buy a different WiFi switch that does allow two way switching?

If the upstairs light is powered from the upper level you need a single wifi switch in that position and only a two circuit one on the floor below.

The 3 wires between the two switch locations would be redundant, disconnect and stow (in case you change your mind in future and want them again).

Last edited by a moderator: