Will I get a job in maintenance??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Soprano

Quality over quantity
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’ve spoke about this before but just want some more opinions from maintenance sparks. I’m in Installation and I’ve done mostly commercial with some industrial and domestic. I very much want to move into maintenance in a production setting so that I’m doing breakdowns, fault finding and rectification. And also general maintenance. The thing is I’ve spoke to a few people at work and they keep telling me I won’t get a placement anywhere without experience in maintenance. So my question is will an employer be willing to take me on with what experience I do have and give me the chance to learn the rest? I don’t think it would take me long to pick it up. Obviously I can’t take a drop in money because I can’t afford to. But I’m slowing realising that Contracting is not a good fit for me anymore. I’m fed up of all the pidgeon-poop that’s attached to being direct in contracting. Not enough time to do a proper job, bosses want you on the next job before you have even had chance to finish the current one. Constantly wanting blood from you. If anything as time goes on the job is getting harder to do. And there’s no room for progression.money never seems to improve a great deal. And I just don’t think contracting is worth the hassle anymore for the money we get payed. Not interested in being a subby either, too much hassle looking for work, being layed off and too many expenses to fork out for. I just want a stable, regular job that I have some interest in doing. With No traveling all over the country and working away. The industry is dead. And it’s time to get out before I lose the will to live.

thanks in advance for replies

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I’ve spoke about this before but just want some more opinions from maintenance sparks. I’m in Installation and I’ve done mostly commercial with some industrial and domestic. I very much want to move into maintenance in a production setting so that I’m doing breakdowns, fault finding and rectification. And also general maintenance. The thing is I’ve spoke to a few people at work and they keep telling me I won’t get a placement anywhere without experience in maintenance. So my question is will an employer be willing to take me on with what experience I do have and give me the chance to learn the rest? I don’t think it would take me long to pick it up. Obviously I can’t take a drop in money because I can’t afford to. But I’m slowing realising that Contracting is not a good fit for me anymore. I’m fed up of all the pidgeon-poop that’s attached to being direct in contracting. Not enough time to do a proper job, bosses want you on the next job before you have even had chance to finish the current one. Constantly wanting blood from you. If anything as time goes on the job is getting harder to do. And there’s no room for progression.money never seems to improve a great deal. And I just don’t think contracting is worth the hassle anymore for the money we get payed. Not interested in being a subby either, too much hassle looking for work, being layed off and too many expenses to fork out for. I just want a stable, regular job that I have some interest in doing. With No traveling all over the country and working away. The industry is dead. And it’s time to get out before I lose the will to live.

thanks in advance for replies
Don't bother with looking for a maintenance job in a factory production setting.

You can be expected to get a machine up and running.

Repair two or three machines at once etc.

If you can't handle being badgered on site, how would you handle a Press Shop Supervisor, Production Manager and General Manager frantically standing over you, waiting for you to get a machine back in production, with 10 to 15 operators standing around with no work to do, and if you don't get it fixed within the hour, agency workers will be let go tomorrow.

That's the sort of scenarios you will be dealing with.

My friend does it and said it’s way more relaxed than being on site. Also it’s not about not being able to handle the pressure. I just need a change. There is also a difference between not wanting pressure and not being able to handle pressure. I just think I want different things that contracting offers. The time we get on site to do some jobs means that some people are performing borderline dangerous work just to get done within the time frame. I’m seeing more and more diabolical worksmanship. I will not resort to this. Even if the boss is screaming at me down the phone. I will take as long as I need to.Maybe maintenance is not the way to go then if they is how it is.

Pressure is something you need to be able to cope with in maintenance work.  As has been said, having people standing over you asking how long will it be when you have no clue as to whats wrong is never a good scenario. Most maintenance sparks have had apprenticeships in industry and have sort of grown up with the sort of environment you describe. I'm not sure how you can go in one fell swoop from being an installer to repairing motors, PLC and related equipment, inverter drives, hydraulics , pneumatics etc. I don't want to be negative. Perhaps one way would be as part of a team where you are not the only spark on a shift so you could gradually find your way. Not sure if thats possible but hope you find what you are looking for in any case.

My friend does it and said it’s way more relaxed than being on site. Also it’s not about not being able to handle the pressure. I just need a change. There is also a difference between not wanting pressure and not being able to handle pressure. I just think I want different things that contracting offers 

Relaxed is what it is between breakdowns. My job is relaxed, lamp chhanges etc until the inevitable breakdown (which is why they have us in the first place) happens and thats where we really earn our money.

To be honest I know nothing about what would be expected from me. That’s why I asked the question on here. Is maintenance as physically demanding as install? Or just more thinking? I’m guessing you need to use your brain more in maintenance to fix a machine. I can’t see me being able to keep up the pace on site for another 30 years

I just want to add that If I’m coming across like I’m not willing to work hard anymore that’s not the case. Neither do I see maintenance as an easier job. It is just something that appeals to me, contracting no longer has that appeal 

If you do get in to a maintenance position I’ll give you a tip. Befriend the production personnel and learn how the plant works. It takes time but it’s time well spent. You can’t repair a machine unless you know what it’s supposed to be doing.

As the Rev said, hydraulics and pneumatics will be part of the job along with fitting work.

You’ll probably get some installation jobs to fill in your time. If it’s anything like some of the places I’ve worked, forget drawings, use your imagination and then do the drawings.

What about maintenance work for a local Housing Executive or Council.

It would be basically repairing lights and sockets etc for tenants.

You wouldn't need the experience of machines to get a job at this.

It’s not really what I’m looking for. I want to learn something new. Working in houses would be even easier and boring than what I do now. I’ve heard some bad things about working for councils. The tenants you have to deal with being a nightmare etc

I’ve heard some bad things about working for councils. The tenants you have to deal with being a nightmare etc
Thats correct Tony ,  I've  never done it myself but heard the same tales  .     

I have though , worked for a firm 1000yrs ago  which sounds like your situation . Job (A)    Pushing sparks to get finished in unrealistic time frames  ,  move the guy to the next job ,  then start rollocking him because the first job has bits not complete , no testing done ,  boards not marked up  ,    load of materials left there .  None of which is is the Sparks fault .      Each spark was doing the same thing until one of them ended up on  Job (A)  , to find the drawings & spec. have disappeared  , wires hanging  , no idea what they're for ,  main contractor giving grief ,  who needs it . ?  

No one on the firm had hardly ever finished a job they started & consequently everyone  had taken on the  :C  attitude. 

Every day was firefighting and chasing your own tail  , all due to poor management  . 

I can understand you wanting out  TBH.  

I’ve had it worse than I have it now at a company I used to work for. But I’m realising that all companies are the same and just push push push. Then when the **** hits the fan they hang you out to dry. So what do we do? All I can suggest is telling them it will take longer. But as we all know, this goes down like a lead balloon. I guess the key is to just not give a monkeys  what they think. Every job I go on it’s all rush rush rush, jobs always behind before we even start it. Then don’t have labour or materials. Even after asking for it. 

Like I said I’ve had it worse than I have it now. But the way the industry has gone is making me hate doing the job when I used to love it doing it. Putting containment in all bang on level, proper nice job to look at is how I was taught. Now it’s sod it,  it you won’t see it when the ceiling goes up. It’s like we get persecuted nowadays for doing the job right and the ones who throw it in quicker get praised because they are off and away on the next job quicker than you.

I’ve had it worse than I have it now at a company I used to work for. But I’m realising that all companies are the same and just push push push. Then when the **** hits the fan they hang you out to dry. So what do we do? All I can suggest is telling them it will take longer. But as we all know, this goes down like a lead balloon. I guess the key is to just not give a monkeys  what they think. Every job I go on it’s all rush rush rush, jobs always behind before we even start it. Then don’t have labour or materials. Even after asking for it. 

Like I said I’ve had it worse than I have it now. But the way the industry has gone is making me hate doing the job when I used to love it doing it. Putting containment in all bang on level, proper nice job to look at is how I was taught. Now it’s sod it,  it you won’t see it when the ceiling goes up. It’s like we get persecuted nowadays for doing the job right and the ones who throw it in quicker get praised because they are off and away on the next job quicker than you.
You do realise you will be expected to cut corners when it comes to getting production restarted.

I've been involved in some serious lash up jobs. The time frame just didn't allow a longer downtime.

Thats correct Tony ,  I've  never done it myself but heard the same tales  .     

I have though , worked for a firm 1000yrs ago  which sounds like your situation . Job (A)    Pushing sparks to get finished in unrealistic time frames  ,  move the guy to the next job ,  then start rollocking him because the first job has bits not complete , no testing done ,  boards not marked up  ,    load of materials left there .  None of which is is the Sparks fault .      Each spark was doing the same thing until one of them ended up on  Job (A)  , to find the drawings & spec. have disappeared  , wires hanging  , no idea what they're for ,  main contractor giving grief ,  who needs it . ?  

No one on the firm had hardly ever finished a job they started & consequently everyone  had taken on the  :C  attitude. 

Every day was firefighting and chasing your own tail  , all due to poor management  . 

I can understand you wanting out  TBH.  
Last Thursday I started at 6am, I finished up at 9.30pm

Everything is possible if you push hard enough.

I regularly meet the night shift in the morning and am still there when they come back in that night.

Personally I love the firefighting and tight deadlines. 

I used To love the job and all the responsibilities. Was seriously ill two years back and was off for over a year. I’ve never felt the same about work since. Can’t seem to find my way back to it. 

Personally I love the firefighting and tight deadlines. 

Thats all well and good but remember you work to live not live to work- a balance is absolute necessity to a healthy life. 

I used To love the job and all the responsibilities. Was seriously ill two years back and was off for over a year. I’ve never felt the same about work since. Can’t seem to find my way back to it. 

Perhaps this says more about your change in perspective rather than the job itself? 

I've done council work, and maintenance, both can be a headache, ****ty council houses where you wipe your feet on the way out, and even ****tier tenants, I even had one drunken woman who was so intent on chatting me up that in between one of several cans of cheap lager she was drinking, she actually carrotted herself! I've contracted Scabies, been threatened, had vans damaged, been offered everything from drugs to stolen property, to every type of sex you can imagine, I've also had some laughs, and met some nice people.

I've worked maintenance, in factories, hotels, and farms, I'm currently in charge of maintenance and security for a grain storage facility, it has its good points and it's bad, ok I,m not there full time, but if they ring up I have to be there sharpish, I have to be able to diagnose problems over the phone, and where possible offer a solution, I've fixed a few faults' remotely' lol.

There are also times when I've gone in at 8 am, and still been there at 3 am the following morning, I have to work on stuff without manuals or schematics, I deal with hydraulics, pneumatics, plc's and numerous other stuff, I've recently upgraded our camera system we've about 40 camera's and they can be monitored from anywhere in the world, which is handy because the boss is away for 3 months!

I built most of the plant, so that's a help, I know what is fed from where and what is connected to where, but it's still challenging at times. However, I don't complain, I'm currently driving around in a very nice landrover with a private number plate, it's not a company vehicle, it was actually a gift from the company, in recognition of the service i've given them over the last 8 or 9 years, I have been with them from the outset, initially,I went in to do a few small jobs for them, then as they started to build the facility I ended up advising on stuff, and installing it.I'm only there part time now, I have things running pretty smoothly most of the time, it's all about planning and maintenance, very often if you know a machine you can tell that it's not well, before it keels over on you. As others have said, you do need experience to do that job, when you have a breakdown and a plant has stopped is not the time for learning, downtime costs money! The only way to learn is to shadow someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.

Everything is possible if you push hard enough.
All I saw were job after job after done shoddily, unfinished , no pride .       You can't push , push push , move the guy on , then berate him because  the Clerk of Works has reported , box lids missing , blanks in boards , nothing marked up , no testing done ,  unfinished wiring  , 2nd fix not finished  etc etc  .

Its not the sparks fault if you  send him elsewhere  to start doing the same s**t  over again  .

Management overstaffed in the office , understaffed on site , taking on too much work  with not a hope in hell of finishing anything to a professional  standard.  

I learned the good & the bad & the ugly  early on .    We were doing a new build , private hospital , boss appears on the Friday , can we work the weekend at this factory , change a transformer .  

Turn up Saturday AM , theres the foreman  off our job , a sparks  & us three apprentii .      A lorry rolls up with a 5- 1/2 ton , 11,000 to 440V   oil cooled transformer  on a flat bed truck .  

Driver was told we had lifting gear    :C     Today H&S  would crucify the firm  TBH .   We built a ramp  somehow , we "Found" levers in the works ,  the truck was almost tipped over as the transformer reached the side . 

Eventually on the floor we realise it's got no wheels ,    we rob the one thats coming out of it's wheels ,  we then find no one has checked and it won't pass through the four sets of double doors  leading to the sub . 

So we remove all the doors ,   no factory staff there except a watchman . 

Sunday we find no one has organized the Electricity Board to kill the 11,000  supply .

No supervising staff from our company turned up until  Monday when they were told that the transformer was standing in the corridor outside the sub and someone had removed all the doors.   :C

To top it all , later ,  after tightening  cable  lugs in the top of transformer  , we'd filled it with oil ....  spanners were tied to wrists  with string ,  on untying mine I dropped it into the tranny ...'ee  how everyone laffed  ....  :Godno: :Sorry:         

As others have said, you do need experience to do that job, when you have a breakdown and a plant has stopped is not the time for learning, downtime costs money! The only way to learn is to shadow someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.
Don’t maintenance work in two man teams? Will a company let me shadow someone to learn? Is this something that normal happens? There’s got to be install sparks who move to maintenance, surely?

All I saw were job after job after done shoddily, unfinished , no pride .       You can't push , push push , move the guy on , then berate him because  the Clerk of Works has reported , box lids missing , blanks in boards , nothing marked up , no testing done ,  unfinished wiring  , 2nd fix not finished  etc etc  .

Its not the sparks fault if you  send him elsewhere  to start doing the same s**t  over again  .

Management overstaffed in the office , understaffed on site , taking on too much work  with not a hope in hell of finishing anything to a professional  standard.  

This is my world all over. Especially at the last firm I worked for. Not so bad now. But they still push too much. I’ve just been pulled off  a job and haven t had chance to finalise the A’s fitted drawings and paperwork. So that will be the next bollocking when I tell the office today. 🤮🤮

To top it all , later ,  after tightening  cable  lugs in the top of transformer  , we'd filled it with oil ....  spanners were tied to wrists  with string ,  on untying mine I dropped it into the tranny ...'ee  how everyone laffed  ....  :Godno: :Sorry:         

Oh well, so I'm not the only one. I dropped my glasses in a 11/3.3kV 2MVA transformer.