Win a set of C.K dextroVDE Slim Screwdrivers - ENDED

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem that they have is, I suspect with the tempering process and the variation in cross sections of the blades, especially the more complex forms such as the +/- types.

The thinner sections will cool quicker when being tempered, and thus will react more as if they are being hardened rather than tempered.

Therefore leaving brittle zones in the tip, and possibly even uneven temper in the tip.

The flat blades may, respond better as the cross section is more predictable.

It is a very fine balance, especially once you move to high volumes.

I do find the small flat blades and the +/- types more brittle.

Which is where I developed this theory from.

The small flat blades whilst more consistent, will probably quenched at the same rate as the larger ones, but, the cooling will be quicker on the smaller mass of metal.

All a guess as I haven't seen their production line, I can only base this on the lines I used to be the production engineer over and the issues we saw with variations in section of product when hardening and tempering.

It's the flat blades that I noticed the biggest change. 

Never owned one of the old style +- drivers so I can't comment.

A few of you got this one incorrect this week - the screwdrivers are individually tested up to 10,000V! 

Competition winner has now been chosen, please check your inboxes (and spam folders) - subject is 'C.K competition winner - slim screwdriver set'

Thanks for your comments and for taking part everyone! 

We'll very surprised just had an email from CK tools saying I've won the screwdrivers. Very pleased indeed Thank you CK Tools.

Thanks to the forum too.