Wind turbine, my opinion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-the-Ninth

Staff member
TEF Moderator
Reaction score
Quite a few moons ago, I thought it would be "interesting" to get a small wind turbine, nothing exciting, just something to run a single light, the idea being the faster the wind the brighter the light.

It was a vertical wind turbine (Imagine a couple of cans of beer, one on top of the other, as opposed to a fan) I mounted it on a wooden pole, so it was about 25 foot up, and I waited, and waited, eventually I moved it, and mounted it on an outbuilding, which means it was even higher, there it stayed for a few months until I got fed up and put it in the bin. (It was not home made, it was advertised on line.)

The thing hardly moved (I did test it with a drill spinning it, which worked quite well) I did some more research (Pity I didn't do more in the first place.) It turns out that (Believe it or not) where I live, there is not enough wind 😟

It turns out that if, like me you live in the average street, in the average town, you have no chance of getting a wind turbine to work because the surrounding houses buffer the wind, if you live in the country side and have no neigbours, go for it.

A vertical turbine was about the worst choice as well. They need more wind to get them going than a conventional turbine.

P.S did you actually bin it? If you still had it I would hapily pay postage to get it to experiment with.

Last edited:

Latest posts