windows

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob

Reaction score
when i start my computer in safe mode it runs sweet as a nut but wen i start it as normal it is reli slow and is it possiable to reinstal windows without deleting the files and software. :)

Save your files and favourites etc - to disc. Then re-install.

Or you could delete all unused & unwanted files etc, Clear your cookies and BOTH recyle bins and De-Frag it.

That will help it run a great deal faster.

When was the last time you did the abobe, Bob?

I did mine last, for the first time in about 8 months, took hours - but much better for it.

Regards,

Admin.

Save your files and favourites etc - to disc. Then re-install.Or you could delete all unused & unwanted files etc, Clear your cookies and BOTH recyle bins and De-Frag it.

That will help it run a great deal faster.

When was the last time you did the abobe, Bob?

I did mine last, for the first time in about 8 months, took hours - but much better for it.

Regards,

Admin.
would you have any idea where my cookies have disappeared?

I havent been able to find any for nearly a month now!!

I used to clear them every week.

and TWO recycle bins?

WHERE?!

TWO recycle bins?

One should be on your desktop.

Clear that one first, and the other is hidden...

...Assuming you are running Windoze XP Home (Like me)...

Right Click on the blue task bar (bottom of your screen) ->

Properties -> Start Menu -> Customise, and there she is. Click Clear.

As for cookies...

Click on "Tools" (Top of your screen) -> Internet Options -> Browsing History -> Delete -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files (give it time to clear) then Cookies -> Delete Cookies (leave it clear) then History -> Delete History -> (again leave to clear). If you want to, you can also clear "Form Data", But if you save your passwords - this can delete those too (even though there is a specific one underneath it - that does that too).

If you want to "De-frag" your PC then....

Click on your Green Start tab (bottom left of screen), -> Settings -> Control Panel ->

If you are using "Caterory View" then :-

Performance & Maintainence -> Rearrange items on your hard disk to make programmes run faster -> (You can do "Free up space on your Hard Disk FIRST, if you want to), Analyze -> Defragment. (Takes Hours to complete).

If you are using "Classic View", then on the top left of your screen, you will see "Control Panel". Within that box you will see 'Switch to Catergory View', Click on that and do the above.

Job's a Good one.

:D

ive De-Frag, deleted unused & unwanted files no diffrent how hard is it to reinstall windows coz i heard it it can take a long time:O:_|

ive De-Frag, deleted unused & unwanted files no diffrent how hard is it to reinstall windows coz i heard it it can take a long time:O:_|
:(

It's not hard to re-install windows, and yes, it isn't timeconsuming either.

Back up all the files that you want/need, including any pics, and links saved into your favourites.

You just put your windows cd in, and follow the onscreen instructions.

You can re-install (write over what you have) or do a clean install.

Upto you, which one you do, Bob.

Let us know how you get on.

There are pages on the web to show you how to do it.

Have a look at them First, if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Welshy.

The time consumming bit can be when you reconnect back to the internet and get all of the windows undates..

Re-installing will effectively take your system back to a earlier non updated version.. :|

so it will start trawling through loads of old updates to get back to where you are now. :( :(

every so often it may need to resart to install someupdates so that it can install later updates??

i might reinstall in a couple of weeks i will try a memory upgrade first i am going to get a hard drive caddy and hdd to back the computer up coz i dont trust it at the moment

Whatever you do ,dont take it to pc world cos they nick all ur naughty films and for lady moderators i mean my nature films involving the wobblier sex

either way good luck muchacho .... :^O

Whatever you do ,dont take it to pc world cos they nick all ur naughty films and for lady moderators i mean my nature films involving the wobblier sex either way good luck muchacho .... :^O
:eek: :O wondering how Mike knows this, ]:) ] :) ]:)

Sounds to me like a malware infection... try downloading AdAware and running that.... makes a huge difference on machines which have spent a lot of time online.