wireless router

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikel

Reaction score
I use a lap top for all my computer work, I have Tiscali broadband whch I connect to thro a modem supplied by Tiscali. I'm getting fed up of tripping over the wire. Can I get a wireless router to connect to the internet thro then I can get rid of the wired modem. If so any suggestions as too make, price etc and any other things I need to make it work. I know how to press the keys on the computer but little else

I use a lap top for all my computer work, I have Tiscali broadband whch I connect to thro a modem supplied by Tiscali. I'm getting fed up of tripping over the wire. Can I get a wireless router to connect to the internet thro then I can get rid of the wired modem. If so any suggestions as too make, price etc and any other things I need to make it work. I know how to press the keys on the computer but little else
You would need an ADSL wireless router which you connect to a BT skt then your good to go your pc will need to have wi-fi if not you can get router kits that come with 1 or 2 usb wi-fi dongles which makes your pc wi-fi.

There will be a little bit of setting up on the pc to do and the router will need some user name and password setup which Tiscali will have given you

I had a Belkin which lasted 15 months and burnt out currently have a D-Link which is 18 months run hot but its probably cus we get 248v at our supply (half mile from power station) X(

Concur with what he says. 1 point to add is that the router has a built in adsl moodem and so replaces your current modem. My personal preference of make are linksys. Had a linksys BEFSX41 (wired cable router) for 4 years without hitch. Just changed to a linksys WRT54G2 (wireless cable router). No probs either (touch wood). As states these are CABLE routers so no good for ADSL before you go out and buy 1. There is a ADSL version though.

I had a Belkin which lasted 15 months and burnt out currently have a D-Link which is 18 months run hot but its probably cus we get 248v at our supply (half mile from power station) X(
Belkin are garbage - I had one, d-link much better, but have given up completely on wireless due to reduced speeds and lack of security

Belkin are garbage - I had one, d-link much better, but have given up completely on wireless due to reduced speeds and lack of security
One of the reasons, why I'm not going there...............

; \

I had a linksys wireless one in my office at the top of my garden. My garden is no more than 30mtrs long. We could not get the internet on the childrens computer in the house half the time. I have gone to wired netgear one now it rarely doesn't work. If it doesn't its usually down to problems with Mr Branson.

Batty

buffalo wireless, had it about 3years now, never let me down once,

and in 5 house moves still alive.

wont reach the garage about 60m away tho!!!!

so now I got a mobile dongle,

and the house is wired for speed and security!!!

dont go wireless unless you really need/want to,

it has no benefits really, slower, insecure, unstable etc.

buffalo wireless, had it about 3years now, never let me down once, and in 5 house moves still alive.

wont reach the garage about 60m away tho!!!!

so now I got a mobile dongle,

and the house is wired for speed and security!!!

dont go wireless unless you really need/want to,

it has no benefits really, slower, insecure, unstable etc.
Totaly agree wireless is getting scrapped here soon to, just finished installing box number 5 of cat5e anyone fancy making the rj45's off for me :(

How do work out the lack of security? are you refering to people using your wireless router to connect to the internet? if you are then you can not have the router encrypted so only people with password can access it.

This wireless security and lack of it is total b****ks.

If you set it up correctly it is secure.

Those who believe that wired connections are secure should read the IT news

Most attacks on computers are made through the wired conection access via the internet.

Come on guys do you think wireless would be used in businesses at all if it was insecure.

Your comments are simply not true.

These days with the correct encryptions wireless is as secure as it need to be.

Yes it can be hacked, but the time and effort required for an electricians order book would be totally inappropriate.

Wireless if set up correctly works both security and functionality and reliability.

As for router make sure your by one with an integral modem.

Stick with linksys or Belkin most domestic IT guys support these two brands.

I have a netgear - free with the sky broadband. Works a treat. If I have a problem connecting it's my laptop not the router. It has a sign in encryption but my simple security is to turn to router off when we're not using it!

I'd notice someone sat outside my window hacking with a laptop! We have stone walls so only barely gets out of the house :D

This wireless security and lack of it is total b****ks.If you set it up correctly it is secure.

Those who believe that wired connections are secure should read the IT news

Most attacks on computers are made through the wired conection access via the internet.

Come on guys do you think wireless would be used in businesses at all if it was insecure.

Your comments are simply not true.

These days with the correct encryptions wireless is as secure as it need to be.

Yes it can be hacked, but the time and effort required for an electricians order book would be totally inappropriate.

Wireless if set up correctly works both security and functionality and reliability.

As for router make sure your by one with an integral modem.

Stick with linksys or Belkin most domestic IT guys support these two brands.
As previously said I was sold a Linksys router that was supposed to be good for up to 200mtr walls would cut signal down but my garden is less than a quarter this distance. We have one brick wall and one wooden wall between computer and router. But the thing would only work if you were lucky. So I have changed to a wired system that works.

Batty

best way to make wireless as secure as possible is to enable WPA security (hard tp hack than WEP and setup your router to only allow access to the MAC addresses of your computers.

I only mean insecure as in someone else using your connection, not getting into your computer.

I know jack about computers but I had a CD a while back when I lived away that I used to read the passwords of wifi networks, I had 4 encrypted networks in range of my digs I could use if i wanted.

I had a linksys wireless one in my office at the top of my garden. My garden is no more than 30mtrs long. We could not get the internet on the childrens computer in the house half the time.
You should have installed DD-WRT, and then jacked the transmit power up to 100mW

I know jack about computers but I had a CD a while back when I lived away that I used to read the passwords of wifi networks, I had 4 encrypted networks in range of my digs I could use if i wanted.
They were more than likely using WEP security, crackable in as little as 10 seconds depending on the password used.

You sure weren't cracking WPA in any reasonable time frame (even if the user did use a standard word for the password), and you sure as s**t ain't cracking WPA2 encryption in your lifetime.

You should have installed DD-WRT, and then jacked the transmit power up to 100mWThey were more than likely using WEP security, crackable in as little as 10 seconds depending on the password used.

You sure weren't cracking WPA in any reasonable time frame (even if the user did use a standard word for the password), and you sure as s**t ain't cracking WPA2 encryption in your lifetime.
That means nothing to me.

Batty