Wiring a Dimplex Quantum Storage Heater to a Economy 7 Smart Meter with only 4 connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid James

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on how I connect a Dimplex Quantum Storage Heater Series 6 onwards to an Economy 7 Smart Meter with only 4 terminals / ports, installed last week. The series 6, 7, and Y have an option of using only one connection for both Off-Peak and Standard tariffs.

I have assumed that it is necessary to break the 2 connections Live and Neutral to the Consumer Unit with an isolation fuse which allows a spur off to the Storage Heater.

I know that there are meters that have 5 ports to allow such a connection but want to avoid having to get EDF to change the meter they have already just installed. EDF or Dimplex are unable to advise me on a solution.

I am not doing this by choice but it is the only way I can get out of an F Band rated EPC on the property.

You need a proper electrician in to sort it, you don’t tamper with smart meter.
What is a proper electrician. I have spoken to several professional electricians. All are uncertain of giving a solution. I don't intend to do the work myself, I am just trying to get the right information.

Your answer is too vague to be helpful.
Can't see what's vague about it
Old storage heaters needed economy 7 or equiv
New storage heaters need the same AND a 24/7 supply to,comply with LOT20 requirements for 'open window,' temp drops >10° 30 mins heater shuts down

IF you find an electrician who is happy to Pratt about with the smart meter then good luck with that!...and check his insurance

Just saying

Problem solved. No thanks to Electrician Forum which is a waste of time.

Most proper electricians are too busy to spend all day writing useless comments

Sid James has left the building (O.K, forum) on a permanent basis.

Thread now locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.