Wiring a light switch in an out building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbec

Reaction score
I have just built a wooden office in my garden, there is already electricity to it (armoured cable put in by the builders). I have wired this cable straight into a socket. I was hoping there is a way of wiring a single light and switch into the office using standard 3 core cable from a socket. Many Thanks. Darren.

Darren the easiest way to do this is to

run 2.5mm twin and earth cable from the socket to wherever you want your light switch,

at this point you need to fit a standard 13A switched fused spur replacing the 13A fuse for a 5A

connect 2.5mm cable from socket into the 'feed' or 'in' terminals of fused spur.

from the fused spur 'load' or 'out' terminals run 1.5mm twin and earth to wherever you want your light.

connect brown to brown/live, blue to blue/neutral and earth to earth throughout

operating the switch on the fused spur will turn the light on........ Pray

well it would if i did it! ; \

a/a but I would have thought a 1mmsq T&E between FCU and light, and a 3A fuse would be sufficient.

... Though if you were ever to put up more lights and them being 5+ bulb chandeliers, 1.5mmsq T&E and a 6A fuse would be future-proofing! :D

to be honest im betting he just keeps the 13A fuse in place in which case 1.5mm would be able to cope.

not forgetting an outside light, then a floodlight then outdoor socket then....etc etc

I have just built a wooden office in my garden, there is already electricity to it (armoured cable put in by the builders). I have wired this cable straight into a socket. I was hoping there is a way of wiring a single light and switch into the office using standard 3 core cable from a socket. Many Thanks. Darren.
Hello Darren welcome to the forum. As others have said you can run a light from the socket via a spur. But if you are not registered ie part p you should not be doing this work as it comes under building regs now.

Batty

Should we not atleast enquire how the SWA has been terminated? Have glands etc been used or just the insulation stripped?

Should we not atleast enquire how the SWA has been terminated? Have glands etc been used or just the insulation stripped?
My concerns are that the builder did it :_| as stated by the op

who has not been back since his original post

No Part P considerations there....i did post a reply asking all the relevant questions but i felt it was too harsh and deleted it

Latest posts