Wiring diagram for solar and on grid

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJC58

Reaction score
I have purchased a Victron Multiplus 11 GX inverter and some pylontech batteries and was expecting to be able to install this myself. I can see a generic diagram from Victron but no real details on practical way to contact the solar, grid and house load together. I’m assuming that I need to have appropriate breakers /isolation at certain points but had expected a schematic with all the relevant connections and type of breakers/isolation to connect my solar, grid input, distribution board to the converter.
Where’s a good place to get these

Sorry didn't give any background details
I have an existing 3.9 KWp PV which was installed in 2012 and has a Aurora PVI-3.O-OUTD Inverter and 16x 250W Sunrise panels in 2x strings and we also get a FIT
and looking at the paperwork it has a G83 Cert
I was looking adding the new inverter and batteries

Sorry didn't give any background details
I have an existing 3.9 KWp PV which was installed in 2012 and has a Aurora PVI-3.O-OUTD Inverter and 16x 250W Sunrise panels in 2x strings and we also get a FIT
and looking at the paperwork it has a G83 Cert
I was looking adding the new inverter and batteries
Ok, so this is completely separate to your existing installation. G83 has become G99 a few years ago. If you add an AC connected set of batteries the DNO will treat it as a separate installation to your exiting gear and that may well exceed the 16A that they have to allow as backfeed on your grid connection. So you need to make an application to your DNO, and they will not accept anything that doesn't have a G99 compliance cert, as they will regard this as dangerous to their operatives should they need to work on the grid local to your property. Now, I'm guessing that inverter has an amp-clamp and can be set to limit export to the grid, possibly to as low as zero export, in which case you may get away with the 16A limitaion bit, in reality most properties can export more than 16A, but you are legally required to ask first before installing anything).

The point of the new bit of inverter & Batteries is so that I don't export anything to the grid or as little as possible and so I don't really see how I could be any different to what I already have
as I would be charging the batteries either of the Solar or possibly cheap grid and using it when I have no solar, if I'm not at home/holiday and the batteries are fully charged then the solar will export to the grid just like it does now or are you saying that they will see that I have the possibility to export the charge in the batteries as well as the solar and so they would be added together - can I not set the system to only export what I'm currently allowed

The point of the new bit of inverter & Batteries is so that I don't export anything to the grid or as little as possible and so I don't really see how I could be any different to what I already have
as I would be charging the batteries either of the Solar or possibly cheap grid and using it when I have no solar, if I'm not at home/holiday and the batteries are fully charged then the solar will export to the grid just like it does now or are you saying that they will see that I have the possibility to export the charge in the batteries as well as the solar and so they would be added together - can I not set the system to only export what I'm currently allowed
trouble is, people like Octopuss are offering smart grid type connections and billing, so an AC battery system can also be used to take advantege of half hour tariffs and charging off peak / back feeding the grid t make some income, so the DNOs don't see it as a just a straight connection with no back feed - persoanally I think they are being a bit silly about the whole thing as most people want stored energy for themselves...