Wiring for outside lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilkoBal

Reaction score
Hi there

This is my first post on here as I need some advice. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum.

Essentially, we've had some work done which included installation of three interior down lights and two exterior light. Both of which are controlled by a double switch.

Because we didn't have the actual outside lights ready to fit, the electrician installed the wiring but didn't connect them within the switch. Now we have the lights, I need to reconnect the wiring at the back of the switch but I'm not sure which wire goes where.

I've attached a couple of photos which hopefully shows the two brown wires that aren't connected. The left hand switch controls the interior down lights (working fine) and the right hand switch control the two outdoor lights.

Hopefully this is a quick and easy job, but I don't want to blow myself up ;)

Thanks in advance.

Note: iPhone won't let me attach photos right now, so will log onto a pc soon.

Hi Silko,

As the Badger says , could the original guy call in for a 5 min job .?

If not we can offer advice .

You won't be able to post any pictures unless an Admin . gives permission  or you have 10 posts to your credit .

A picture would  help us to help you , its not a difficult task.

ANY ADMIN LOOKING IN ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps. That's a ****** about the photos.

It's a bit convoluted, in that we aren't on the best terms with our builder (who finished the job back in December). So getting the spark back around might prove difficult.

Thanks chaps. That's a ****** about the photos.

It's a bit convoluted, in that we aren't on the best terms with our builder (who finished the job back in December). So getting the spark back around might prove difficult.

Have a look at the test certificate you should have got for the work to see if the is any contact details for the electrician and ring him direct.

OK  That happens .

Take some pictures of the rear of the switch , load them onto your PC ,  you have 8 posts to go .

Tell us why you are on poor terms with the builder in the meantime , did they arrive on horseback following a chuck wagon by any chance?

Haha. Overall they were good builders, but I had a few gripes with some of their work. Ended up holding back some of the cash as they weren't able to rectify the work.

That reminds me, I need to chase up the builder for the completion documents. Haven't done so just yet as Building Control haven't signed off our project yet.

OOh !   You may expect a problem with that Silko I'm afraid .  

I know of many cases of buildings not passed off by LBC  , these were due to the electrician being unable sign off the electrics , moves on, becomes untracable , builder not bothered as he,s been paid .

Extension never gets signed off , becomes a problem when house is up for sale .

Sorry for the delay chaps. The better half had taken command of the laptop.

Thanks also to the admin who allowed me to upload the photos.

Have you an electrical installation certificate? I ask because there are some wrong things in your picture that builders often do and proper electricians don't.

The builder has it. Said he'll drop it round when he's passing. What should I be looking out for?

It was an proper electrician that did all the wiring.

The first thing I noticed was how messy it is. There is an earth lug at the rear of the back box, properly dressed earthed cables into that lug would look tidier.

The second thing is, as a permanent live has been taken to the switch the neutral should be linked across both neutral terminals so that identification of each circuit is easy. The unconnected circuit should be terminated properly, I suppose that is a personal preference so some indemnity is due here.

At least it is sleeved and for your particular problem all you have to do is connect that loose brown cable into the switch to the right. Into the terminal marked L1.

Tell me about it. First time I opened it up, took one look at all that and closed it up again.

Thabks for the guidance. However, there are two unconnected brown wires, one top left and the other on the right. Do they both go into L1?

Yep, just one cable for each.

Right, I'll give that a go tomorrow then.

Thanks again all. Will report back once done.

I can see the other one now. It looks like you have four cables coming into the switch, one will be live in. You also have a three core cable, used for two way switching, this looks like it is connected to the left hand switch. So that takes care of three cables, one live, one two way, and one switch.

The other cable can only be a switch wire? Now even I am confused! It does look like a complicated way of wiring two switches. Especially as you have three neutrals.

I would seriously ask the electrician to come back, if he is anything like our members here he will always put the client above the builder.

I suspect that the left switch is purely a two way with the live and switch live being across the L1&L2 direct from light with neutral at light, the new wiring for outside lights has a live feed brought down to switch with two cables outgoing one to each light. So potentially 5 cables in total? This would produce the three neutrals connected to one neutral park on the right switch.