Wiring in new garage supply.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nin90

Reaction score
I have recently had my fuse box changed to a duel RCD board. 

I have a few ways spare. 

Main incomer is 100amps

Both RCDs and 63amps. 

I would like to fit a 6 way board in my workshop I have just built in my garden. 

This has access to the road so I would like to in future fit EV charger. 

The run is 35m and I have 10mm armoured for the supply. 

My question is what size mcb or red do I need in house CU and workshop unit? 

Sorry if I missed anything off. 

I have recently had my fuse box changed to a duel RCD board. 

I have a few ways spare. 

Main incomer is 100amps

Both RCDs and 63amps. 

I would like to fit a 6 way board in my workshop I have just built in my garden. 

This has access to the road so I would like to in future fit EV charger. 

The run is 35m and I have 10mm armoured for the supply. 

My question is what size mcb or red do I need in house CU and workshop unit? 

Sorry if I missed anything off. 
What did the electrician say when you asked him for advice when changing your consumer unit? 

Who changed the Board ?  If not you, why can you safely fit the Submain (or did it all look pretty easy)

Allowing for a 2% vd which is common for submains you are restricted to 32A. 40A if you go to 3%.

What did the electrician say when you asked him for advice when changing your consumer unit? 
If I'm honest it wasn't mentioned. The workshop wasn't going to happen at the time. 

Who changed the Board ?  If not you, why can you safely fit the Submain (or did it all look pretty easy)
I'm not sure what your asking me if your honest, I didn't fit the fusebox was an electrician. 

Do I split the tails for a new supply directly to the workshop do you mean? 

Allowing for a 2% vd which is common for submains you are restricted to 32A. 40A if you go to 3%.
This would then mean I wouldn't be able to put a ev charger down in workshop correct? As it would be too many amps on the system? 

If I'm honest it wasn't mentioned. The workshop wasn't going to happen at the time. 

I'm not sure what your asking me if your honest, I didn't fit the fusebox was an electrician. 

Do I split the tails for a new supply directly to the workshop do you mean? 

This would then mean I wouldn't be able to put a ev charger down in workshop correct? As it would be too many amps on the system? 

Some DIY jobs can be done reasonably safely with a bit of internet guidance, (swapping a light fitting, adding a smart light-switch or thermostat etc. or adding a couple of sockets & a light in a garden shed.)

BUT other tasks do require correct design, installation, certifying, and if applicable Building regulations notification. 

There are numerous factors that have to be considered, Earthing arrangements, Permissible volt drop relative to; "Expected load, Cable length, Conductor CSA". Type of protective device(s) required, Maximum permissible earth loop impedance etc..

Who selected 10mm SWA? and what was the design spec for this cable size?

I would suggest the old tried and trusted method of getting two or three local electricians round to see exactly what your supply arrangements are so you have some accurate estimates/quotes to compare.

Planning for or installing EV charger circuits is not generally a DIY project.  

And anything involving splitting tails is most likely to require Part-P compliance as well, as it will involve installing a new consumer unit.

:coffee

Latest posts