Wiring outdoor Wall Sconce LED Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiSingh1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

my whole post got deleted so time to write again.

I am used to wiring indoor lights but need some help for outdoor. We are putting in 4 LED Wall lights and i am wondering what cable to use for it? Is it SWA, SY, Outdoor Rubber Flex, or something else? Can i just use basic 1.5MM T&E that i have laying around from indoor projects, and as it is weaker than outdoor cable, could i use it and bury it in outdoor conduit? The lights are rated at approx. 5W according to the Amazon listing, and also they use mains power. Therefore have inputs for Live, Earth, Neutral.

It is within touchable distance as will only be around 1M off the ground, it is to light up the front of the house so I am guessing there is guidelines/regulations about what is used and how?

So basically which cable is best to use, and I was planning to just take power from the closest indoor socket and terminate with a standard 13A plug on the end so i can just turn it off and on all at once. 

Thank you

Ji

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T63NTJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The type of wiring is dependent upon the installation method. For the type of luminaire you suggest it maybe best to employ internal wiring as they are are likely to have a rear cable entry.  Utilising a 13A socket for their source, whilst this isn't a prohibited solution it isn't considered a professional solution. Bearing this all in mind it maybe wise to seek the services of an electrician. 

If you are wanting to connect 4x lights...

You do need to bear in mind the size of the connectors that the light fittings come with..

As,  99.99999999% of cable connectors fitted to most modern luminaires are about as much use as a chocolate teapot if you are trying to loop more than one cable into the terminations..

i.e. you may need to run a single cable from each light to a suitable, (weatherproof),  junction box.. then back to your supply point.

PLUS  the cable entry points and any cable clamps are often only designed for a single cable..

AND many outdoor lights have glands designed for cables with a circular profile, not flat, twin & earth..

Without seeing exactly what your installation requirements are;

Cable distances, fixings methods etc..  it is impossible to guess the best solution...

But I have found 3-core flex similar to that used for garden water features, can be terminated successfully into some outdoor light fittings..

e.g.  https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-3183p-black-3-core-0-75mm-flexible-cable-25m-drum/61627

As others have said..  

wiring back to a standard plug, with an appropriate fuse rating ..  (make sure you do NOT leave the default 13A fuse in the plug!!!)..

may not be the best professional solution..   BUT..  for a DIY project, it may actually be the safest solution..

As if your wiring is a bit below standard you are less likely to cause problems that you cannot easily isolate by just unplugging the outdoor wiring!

DIY electrical work is legally permitted within the UK..

and although some alterations to the fixed wiring of an installation do require additional certification..

Connections via a standard plug & socket arrangement are not actually part of the fixed wiring!

4x 5watt lamps is only 20watts, or less than 90miliamps of power,  so you are not going to be looking at any major loading or volt-drop problems..

so a 3A fuse in your plug will be more than enough.

But you do need to check that the socket you are plugging into is RCD protected..

If you consumer unit is relatively modern it should be.

Guinness