Wiring regs question about landings and light switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAMWILL

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm not an electrician but we have just bought a new build and need some advice, it's a two story house. Ground floor light switch controls the middle floor landing lights as expected (turn on as you go upstairs), middle floor light switch (single switch) obviously only controls middle floor landing light. But top floor landing light can only be turned on or off at the top floor, so going from middle to top floor you have no way to turn the top landing light on if it's dark. 

This is as you can imagine ODD but what I want to know is, are there any health and safety or building regs that govern this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

So it's not a 2 storey house, but 3  :^O

Wiring regs are really only about safety, now where and how to connect what switch.  but I would definitely go back to the house builder and say this is unacceptable and you want it put right.  I would expect switches on the middle landing to work the middle and top landing lights.

Is there not a switch to turn the middle landing light off from top floor? Sounds as though a switch has been missed? Is this a) a new build as in your the first purchaser or is it b) a new build of recent years? 

If it is a) then speak to site agent and he will get the electricians out to look at it, depends whether it’s installed as specified on drawings or whether it’s an oversight by electrician, if it’s installed as per drawings then your argument is with the builder, if it’s and oversight by electrician then it’s down to them to put right with builder making good if/where necessary. 

If it’s b) then you may have a harder time of it as it would mean contacting the original builders, gaining a copy of the spec, perhaps complaining to NHBC, in all honesty it may be less hassle to get a spark in to take a look. 

Probably a clock - up by the sparks  .    A mate of mine went to work on a huge new housing site on the edge of the city ,  (  Yes I know, I told this before)  As the newbie he was on dayrate  of about £25 / week  ( Normal then)   All others on a price , earning  £70 /week .  

He was on rectification ,  I asked what,s  to rectify on new wiring .....apparently  EVERY house on completion  had faults , the main one being the  2 ways didn't work .