Wiring requirements for small water heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greig1974

Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking for some advice if possible, hopefully without too much grief as I know I'm not a spark! Just trying.to do my.best to help my Mrs keep the costs down with her new business venture.

I have some limited basic knowledge of electrics and have moved sockets etc. In the house and other all very basic jobs.

So she has taken over a small beauty salon, which will predominantly be getting used for make up, massage, nails etc, however she would like to be able to offer limited hair services also. Iv informed her to do this she would need to have a small electric water heater installed in the premises, as there is no gas supply to the property. To be clear this won't be a hairdressers and constantly using hot water, I know that in order to do that you're looking at high power output showers etc, we're talking most days this unit probably not even being used at all, and when it is, only for 3 or 4 minutes for a quick rinse, so I suggested a small heater less than 3 kW. Could you please advise if so long as its a 2 kW or 2.5kw max that it would be OK to connect this to the ring circuit via a double pole isolated switch, as the premises is in a small unit which is part of a larger premises and a distance from the main room housing the consumer units. If I'm completely wrong with this please just let me know this is why I'm here to try and lean on a bit of experience cheers again

Regulations (BS7671) suggest loads of 2kw and above are connected to a dedicated circuit. Being a commercial installation any works would have to be in compliance with the Electricity & Work Regulations 1989, this is a legal requirement and it would be prudent to have these works carried out by an electrician who can provide suitable Certification to confirm compliance with the necessary Regulations. Any incident caused by uncertified works is likely to void any insurances your wife has.

Thanks for your reply fleeting, much appreciated, so even if we went with a 1.5kw heater that could go on a ring, however would still need done by a spark foe insurance purposes?

What are the current methods for providing hot water?
there must be some basic sanitation facilities for hand washing etc?

If there is NO stored hot water and you are looking for some form of instantaneous hot water..
personally I think you would be, (as the phrase goes), pi55ing in the wind trying to get reliable hot water with an element 3Kw or below..

Sounds to me that you need more like a typical electric shower type unit with a minimum 7Kw or higher..
Which would also be needing a dedicated circuit..

BUT as Fleeting also points out.. although DIY electrical work is permitted in the UK..

Any electrical work in a workplace is not within in the scope of DIY..
as Health & Safety at work.. Electricity at Work and other such legal statutory obligations will apply..

What are the current methods for providing hot water?
there must be some basic sanitation facilities for hand washing etc?

If there is NO stored hot water and you are looking for some form of instantaneous hot water..
personally I think you would be, (as the phrase goes), pi55ing in the wind trying to get reliable hot water with an element 3Kw or below..

Sounds to me that you need more like a typical electric shower type unit with a minimum 7Kw or higher..
Which would also be needing a dedicated circuit..

BUT as Fleeting also points out.. although DIY electrical work is permitted in the UK..

Any electrical work in a workplace is not within in the scope of DIY..
as Health & Safety at work.. Electricity at Work and other such legal statutory obligations will apply..
It's a small industrial premises divided up into about 5 independent small units. There is currently a shared toilet area with an oversink heater to provide warm water for handwashing. There is currently no water supply into the actual salon area, so a pipe would need to be added to the existing cold mains supply in the toilet area to the salon which is only about 4 to 5 metres away, my thoughts were if we could at least get cold water into There, we could.then explore options for heating it to enable a quick hair rinse, probably heating water to 35-40 c for a few minutes at a time.

In light of what you're saying guys due to the legal requirements with it being commercial il get an approved spark in for the electricals. if i was to get a proper shower in, mounted , and get a cold water supply into it, roughly what kind
You may also find that if each unit has a water supply then pressure drop may be an issue at some point?
Sharpend, there's only currently water to the shared toilet area, none of the units have any water supply. If we get it into the salon it would be the only one

Should have said roughly what kind of price would an electrician charge to connect to consumer and provide cert etc

I forgot to say.. any electrical job is NOT about making something work..
As any incompetent, unqualified, inexperienced person can join a few wires to make something work..

BUT correct electrical work, that complies with the current wiring regulations, (BS7671), is about making sure electrical circuits will Fail-Safe!!!!

So in the event of a fault no one will be injured.. and the power will automatically be disconnected to remove any potential hazards or dangers..

Whilst remembering that electricity can KILL a HEALTHY adult in less than a second..
it cannot be seen, smelt, heard or touched..
And it is still used in some American states as a tool to administer the death-penalty!

Anyone doing electrical work in a non-domestic environment, should ensure they have appropriate insurance cover, in-case things do go pear-shaped.

Should have said roughly what kind of price would an electrician charge to connect to consumer and provide cert etc

Impossible to say without a site visit..
and knowing what part of the country you are in...
London, Yorkshire, Mid-Wales, Northern Scotland etcx.. etc... etc.....
will I guess be all a bit different..

BUT.. general common sense guidance is to get at least three independent quotations so you can get a

AND remember if you are using a self employed, or smaller business, contractor, then the amount you are paying them per hour is NOT the amount they are receiving per hour! TAX, overheads, insurance etc.. all take a big lump from the available funds..

Just thinking out loud...............
Hair washing facility
Kettle...........too small :cry:
Electric shower..........needs 40A supply for instant hot water, water flow affected by someone flushing the toilet o_O
not to mention, can you have such a big supply?

Solution?
Stored hot water heater :)

A stored water heater will always stay hot, and shouldn't fluctuate too much when toilet flushed.
You can get them that are 1.5Kw
However, they only hold 6 Litres, would that be enough?
Other question, although water is only 5M away, will the landlord allow you to "tap in" (If he allows one, he must allow the others?)
Also where will the waste water go?

I would suggest first thing is ask the landlord can you do it? (You won't be able to keep it a secret long)

I suspect that with all the plumbing (in and out) the water heater, the electrician, it will not be worth it (oh and the water meter, and the "hairdressers sink" with a cut-out to lean into, oh and a proper salon chair)

Good luck, let us know how it goes. (y)