Wiring workshop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manualworker123

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve no power to my workshop so a proper qualified electrical contractor is coming to wire it up shortly.

They wanted me to lay the cable from the house dropped of some armoured cable a couple of months ago (16mm) but it’s taken a while to dig the trench as it runs 200 foot through three foot of concrete and hardcore where we park cars but I think I’ve got it down deep enough -600mm but put the cable in a twin wall duct and poured concrete over that with the obligatory cable warning tape over the concrete and a second run embedded into it too. I’ve left the trench open to show them. I’ve drilled through the concrete workshop base with a core drill and eased the cable and up through into the shed so it comes up almost vertical. 

Q1 - can anyone advise if this sounds acceptable and what protection do I need round the SWA in the workshop as it heads up from the floor to the metre board?

Ive fitted a 600mm by 300mm meter board on 70mm by 45mm batons to the wall about four feet up.

Q2 - Will this be meter board big enough for the consumer unit?

Q3 - what sort of consumer unit do I get for the electrician  or would they bring one - in particular should it have RCD (the other end of the SWA comes out in the junction box outside the house and I understand wil be connected to the mains there).

From the consumer unit I’ve set up conduit with 90degree connectors that goes up, across the roof beam and down the other wall 8ft opposite to an identical meter board where i want to put two double sockets.

Q4 - I’ve only got one run of conduit - will this be enough or is it supposed to go round in a ring. 

Q5 - I’ve not bought the sockets yet. Do they need to be robust metal faced or full exterior sockets with covers - for a the inside of a shed. It’s just a regular newish wooden workshop 20ft by 8 ft. Do the sockets need their own rcd switch if the consumer unit for the workshop has one or would two sets of rcd protection be problematic. 

I’ve also ran a second conduit to an interior bulkhead light with an exterior switch in between. 

I’ve not put  wires in anything (other than laid the SWA) as I’ve not a clue what wires are supposed to go in and assume they fit the wires and strip connect up the SWA etc. I’m doing what I think they expect me to do but if it’s all wrong I imagine they will tell me to fix it. I’m asking  to mitigate the risk of that as it takes a while to make a booking for them to come out m. I’ve only been able to get the office admin person when I phone so have not been able to ask them all of this. 

Sorry lots of questions but I want it to be right for when they arrive but I can’t reach them to ask. They are a big and well known contractor in our town.

TBH I think you should direct most of these questions to a local spark AND they will need to do a site visit before they quote
Thanks - as I said the electrician has quoted and the price accepted and the main SWA cable delivered and laid by me and they are due in the coming days coming days. I can’t  reach them and I thought I’d ask in this forum. 

No worries - I’ll work it out or they will just have to come, comment and come out again. 

Thanks - as I said the electrician has quoted and the price accepted and the main SWA cable delivered and laid by me and they are due in the coming days coming days. I can’t  reach them and I thought I’d ask in this forum. 

I'm a little surprised by your answer because if they have quoted surely you know what they are providing and if they don't ........... sounds like a mess in the making

They quoted prior to the pandemic in a relatively rural region. Then the pandemic hit and while I’d got back to them it was a few days before it became apparent the first lockdown was going to happen at which point I imagine they were shoring up their existing jobs and I was busy saving my business. Not much happened over the summer and then I got back in touch before Christmas and they were glad to pick it back up again but it’s a v small job for them.

it then took me two months and my back wrecked twice to dig the trench at the weekends. I know that yard I’ve been digging across  as I’ve tried to dig it once before with a mini digger to dig a wall foundation and it’s got a lot of very good fines in the hardcore and then concrete. It can only be done by hand so that took a long time. No one would actually quote for the trench it in the winter.

so by this time I’d forgotten what we’ve agreed and it’s taken 6 weeks to get them out as all their big commercial contracts are now in full swing. 

They quoted prior to the pandemic in a relatively rural region. 

so by this time I’d forgotten what we’ve agreed and it’s taken 6 weeks to get them out as all their big commercial contracts are now in full swing. 
if you can’t remember suggests they didn’t provide a written quote or estimate = alarm bells