Without a break..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Junction boxes were done that way in prehistoric times (13th edition) because most accessories incld. JBs had quite small capacity terminals so not cutting gave you more room. In those days there was no green sleeving, earths were left bare and lets face it, I would'nt lose any sleep over 2 inches of bare earth wire, lifes too short for that !!

Deke

only at terminations.

is a termination/terminal = end of

its more of a through cable, not actually terminated, the spur is terminated, ;)

am I being twisted on this?? ; \

Im gonna code 1 all your crimp joints too,! :^O :^O:^O] :)

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Junction boxes were done that way in prehistoric times (13th edition) because most accessories incld. JBs had quite small capacity terminals so not cutting gave you more room. In those days there was no green sleeving, earths were left bare and lets face it, I would'nt lose any sleep over 2 inches of bare earth wire, lifes too short for that !!Deke
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I would give it a code 1, it is a dangerous as exporting pme
I was only joking it was a tongue in cheek with steptoe

normally it would be a code 4 but a code 4 says as amended, but if this was done after the amendment then what code would you give it. I think there should be another code saying something like code 5 does not comply ,or needs improvement but is not dangerous. I used to give missing grommets from back boxes a code 2 but now that gives an unsatisfactory cert what would you code it

I was only joking it was a tongue in cheek with steptoe normally it would be a code 4 but a code 4 says as amended, but if this was done after the amendment then what code would you give it. I think there should be another code saying something like code 5 does not comply ,or needs improvement but is not dangerous. I used to give missing grommets from back boxes a code 2 but now that gives an unsatisfactory cert what would you code it
thats why I gave you Applaud Smiley

good one. :D

its hard to know sometimes, requires improvement, but not immediate danger... ?:|

Missing grommets in boxes I'd give Code 4 does'nt comply with BS7671, again sleep will not be lost, if it was going to short out on the box , it would have done it by now. I tend to take the stand that if someone is that concerned about a grommet or a bit of green sleeving then they will be correcting it themselves.

I'm afraid years in the trade have made me a little cynical. I'm quite nice really !!

Deke

Missing grommets in boxes I'd give Code 4 does'nt comply with BS7671, again sleep will not be lost, if it was going to short out on the box , it would have done it by now. I tend to take the stand that if someone is that concerned about a grommet or a bit of green sleeving then they will be correcting it themselves.I'm afraid years in the trade have made me a little cynical. I'm quite nice really !!

Deke
isbn 0-9531058 9 X Niceic snag 32.Failure to provide a grommet where a cable enters a back box is not in its own right a deficiency,providing the cable sheath is adequately protected against damage from any sharp edges.

cable mentioned is T+E.

Solutions mentioned. Deburring, suitable physical protection,or (wait for it)

provide an appropriate grommet.

So when giving a code for lack of grommets do you feel for sharp edges to make sure they havent been deburred?.

:^O :^O:^O:^O:p

so what they are saying is as long as there are no sharp edges that's OK

so the knockout on metal boxes don't need grommets because they are not sharp. this forum is starting to save me money :D

thanks for the reply

I always use grommets, Regardless of whether they are sharp or not. :|

so what they are saying is as long as there are no sharp edges that's OK so the knockout on metal boxes don't need grommets because they are not sharp. this forum is starting to save me money :D

thanks for the reply
knock them all out, we can weigh them in at xmas. :D :D :D

Ah, grommets...

Always makes me smile (and I do fit them..)...

I'd like to think ALL Sparky's pull their cables down to the backbox, and pull that remaining bit of cable through the hole, like.. :D

Far more damage to pulling cables through is done on a patrrice

Applaud Smiley

Oh Pat R Price , I know him we were apprentices together, a sparks gave him a fiver to buy him a glass hammer , he bought him one from Woolworths . guys name was Buzz Barr I think.

Deke