Work dilema

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
The story is:

Whole 8 roomed house is wired in lead sheathed cables & has the old cu set up that I posted pictures of in the picture section. No equipotential bonding, no supplimentary bonding......Apart from (and Im suprised the dno fitted it) the brand spanking new service head & tails its basicaly a 1900 & plonk install, if you know what I mean.

What the customer wants is a new set of tails from Henleys supplying & new cu & the lounge/diner sso circuit rewired & equi bonds only for now (lounge/diner lighting will be done when they start upstairs work).

I gave them a quote to do the whole house in one hit & came in at 4.5K, but they are wanting it done in stages as they renovate each room over a 6 month period.

So I re-quoted for the cu, equi bonds & ring at

What a pain in the Royal Rectum.

Have you also deleted the Pics from the "Pictures" section too, M107?

They are coming up as dead links, for me anyway. :(

can you not replace the wiring as you go and put a new cu in at the end ??

Loading allowing

it might be easier

What a pain in the Royal Rectum.Have you also deleted the Pics from the "Pictures" section too, M107?

They are coming up as dead links, for me anyway. :(
Welshy mate sorry her in doors deleted the pics while doing some pics for ebay, but here they are again.

The cables are lead sheathed in both pics, although they do look like 1970's grey T/E.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00116.jpg

lighting cu with isolator 2x circuits & yes the neutrals are fused

&

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/DSC00115.jpg

socket cu again the neutrals are fused.

They are for lighting & socket circuits, there is another 1 way cu same as these for the cooker circuit & immersion.

The immersion radial is of the modern type it's VIR :^O

No problem M107. The only thing about doing it partially is don't sign any certificate sand don't issue any even on partial works.

You price should reflect the inconvenience and you are making it convenient for the client.

Don't fit any RCD's nor RCBO's until the job is complete then and only then fit them.

Check that the existing installation does NOT have fused neutrals, I have come across these before in houses with lead sheathed cables. If it done shave fused neutrals it is actually illegal and this/these must be removed post haste. I have come across fused neutrals once in the past (if the CU is an old Bell china based using then it m,ay well be fused neutrals - not immediately obvious.

4.5 K is blooming cheap mate for an 8 bed house - you need a marketing manager :^O

Most importantly DO NOT issue any EIC's or MW's for any work until all is done.

Best of luck sounds like a nice job and very satisfying I should think.

Don't fit any RCD's nor RCBO's until the job is complete then and only then fit them.Check that the existing installation does NOT have fused neutrals, I have come across these before in houses with lead sheathed cables. If it done shave fused neutrals it is actually illegal and this/these must be removed post haste. I have come across fused neutrals once in the past (if the CU is an old Bell china based using then it m,ay well be fused neutrals - not immediately obvious.

Most importantly DO NOT issue any EIC's or MW's for any work until all is done.
Sound points here..

could actually work out better in the long run TBH IMHO.

if you really want to do it the go ahead and think for yourself way then here is my humble suggestion. GO EUROPEAN

wire the whole shebang in radials,!!! shocked yet.?

every other sensible place in the world does, and set up ur lighting circuits for a spider system, that way you can add rooms on as and when with least hassle.

ie, wire 2 to 3 doubles on each radial, or a room , depending on loading etc,

obviously kitchen will already require quite a few radials due to loads, but these would require radials anyway, washing machine, dishwasher, fridge/freezer all on 16a radials, 2 more should do for socket outlets, not much more than normal anyway and should suit your situation well.

LIGHTS:- wire a main feed to a central joint box(6X4 adaptable) in central location on each floor, then from here run a cable to each room ceiling rose separately, then a switch wire from ceiling rose to switch in each room.

should be like a spider with legs coming from central point.

this should allow you to complete the job in stages much easier, and complying with 17th is already done in this manner, just insert your RCD or RCBO depending on socket or FCU as needed.

let me know what you think or if you need any more explanation.

regards, Albert.

HTH:D

LIGHTS:- wire a main feed to a central joint box(6X4 adaptable) in central location on each floor, then from here run a cable to each room ceiling rose separately, then a switch wire from ceiling rose to switch in each room.

should be like a spider with legs coming from central point.

regards, Albert.

HTH:D
I'm not very keen on these spider box setups..

(Perhaps because the few I've seen so far, were rats nests..)

:|

Would agree with leaving the lead cables intact - I have come across quite a few very old houses with the old lead cables still buried in the plaster - and going in all directions by the way :eek: . Also, in old Victorian homes, along with small bore town gas pipes that ran in walls to feed gas wall lights.

Morning all,

4.5 K is blooming cheap mate for an 8 bed house - you need a marketing manager
Wabbit it's only a 4 bed house but has 8 room inthe whole property, my mistake should have explained better :) as for the marketing manager dont shout to loud it will give her indoors ideas above her station :^O

You price should reflect the inconvenience and you are making it convenient for the client
Yes I've told the customer that each stage will vary in price (got to make up that 4.5K) :D . Spoke to him last night I've got the job, he wanted to know if it would be cheaper if he ran all cables in :eek: . Told him to get somebody else if he wanted to do that, as I wouldnt sign off any work I hadnt done but he could save a few quid per room by doing the chasing & fitting backboxes:D .

Check that the existing installation does NOT have fused neutrals
All circuits are defo fused neutrals :_| . I told the customer that it was a very big no no & they need removing asap.

wire the whole shebang in radials
Yes I thought of that, gonna go 2.5mm 20amp radials for bedrooms . 4mm for kitchen with a seperate 2.5mm radial on non rcd side to supply freezer via engraved dedicated outlet. Customer has requested a ring final for the llounge/diner (why I dont know) but hey if thats what he want who am I to complain. 4ft void under the floor so clipping cables isnt a problem......for the boy:p :^O

,!!! shocked yet.?
No. I wired a bungalow in nothing but radials last month , its the way forward you know B).

LIGHTS:- wire a main feed to a central joint box
Funny how thing always go full circle given time, we are now back to the old Octopus box for lighting :)

But yes you are right steptoe a good idea & a route I will be going down.

Dont even think about altering those old lead cables. The ends dry out and as you move them the cores can short out to the sheath.
Dont worry I stated much the same in the contract I've drawn up. I'll be installing the new circuits to the new cu room by room & then disconnecting & removing all old cabling room by room (if that makes sense ).

Then its off to the scrappy with all that lovely lead

Easy to read laid out format there Mate.

Looks like you are going to enjoy that Job.

Not as much as doing it in one, but - Nether the less, you will enjoy doing it.

:)

Would be nice to see some, before during and after pics, if you have the time and icentive to do it, Mate.

:)