Work in the new year

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Soprano

Quality over quantity
Reaction score
Ive decided to move from where I work. My question is how soon in the new year do the agencies start recruiting again? Is there much chance of getting a start in January? Or a start with a company? Just seeing what my options are. Or do I stay put a bit longer until things pick up? I could stick it out where I am until I find something. But I don’t want to. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit different as I am self employed, but always November and December goes mental, and then January you think the phone is broken as it never rings.

NEVER LEAVE AN EXISITING JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE A NEW POSITION.   It looks lettuced to prospective employers and reduces your chance of getting a  job, apart from the obvious loss of earnings, it's a bad idea.

This is top advice

And if you are desperate for a job you could very well go from the fireplace right into to fire!

NEVER LEAVE AN EXISITING JOB UNTIL YOU HAVE A NEW POSITION.   It looks lettuced to prospective employers and reduces your chance of getting a  job, apart from the obvious loss of earnings, it's a bad idea.

Been there, being out of work for a few months is hard but it's worked out nearly two years of hard graft later.

As someone who used to interview job applicants I absolutely agree. 

Made redundant?  That's fine as long as it's part of a larger redundancy programme. 

Walked away from a previous appointment?  You need a VERY good explanation, because all sorts of bad reasons occur to the interviewer.   Didn't get along with other employees?   Just doesn't like hard work?   Incompetent, advised to resign to avoid dismissal ?  Any other undesirable reasons,  -use your imagination.

No, stick it out and look around.

As you say, when you’re employed it is far easier to find a new employer.

As for redundancy, the first time I left voluntarily after 23 years (I threatened to set fire to the MD’s car if he didn’t let me go). Second time there was 400 of us in the queue.

This is exactly right  Tony .   Then as Geoff says  ...I wonder why this bloke left ? ,  doesn't he fit in  ?   Wonder if they "advised " him to leave ?  etc etc .  

Tony was  it you who was looking at this a few months ago  ...from Walsall was it .   I remember you felt it was time to move on , try something new .

Don't just leave , you'll end with sod all ,  watching daytime TV .     

Agency work  eh!   My views on that have been aired ad infinitum on here .   How about being self employed ?    You could sub to a local firm  to get started like that . 

This is exactly right  Tony .   Then as Geoff says  ...I wonder why this bloke left ? ,  doesn't he fit in  ?   Wonder if they "advised " him to leave ?  etc etc .  

Tony was  it you who was looking at this a few months ago  ...from Walsall was it .   I remember you felt it was time to move on , try something new .

Don't just leave , you'll end with sod all ,  watching daytime TV .     

Agency work  eh!   My views on that have been aired ad infinitum on here .   How about being self employed ?    You could sub to a local firm  to get started like that . 
Yes it’s me mate. I am being pushed into supervisor roles that I don’t really want to do. I like being an Electrician and being hands on. But being told I’m not a good spark unless I run jobs. I feel that there is a difference between being a good spark and being a good supervisor. The two are completely different. I do a very good job in the tools. But I admit supervisory roles are not a good fit for me. I can’t seem to find anywhere that will let me do my thing and be a hands on asset with 20+ years experience. And not supervise.

Last edited by a moderator:
HHHmmmmm!   Thing is , if you went self employed say , you'd need to supervise yourself ,   visit site,  work a quote out , type it up , get it to client ,  do the job , invoice it , bank the money , keep the van running , make sure you're insured ,  buy a new Regs book every week . etc etc .  

I agree , supervising isn't for everyone , the Forman's job isn't for everyone .       In our previous entity we had good guys who didn't want to get involved with responsibility ,  

no good asking them to measure up the run for a new sub main  say , in 50mm SWA  ....various reasons  ,   not their remit ...not on their pay scale ... don't want the responsibility , ... its my job  not theirs .....   ( His exact  words in one instance )......." Just give us cable tray & conduit to run & leave us alone to crack it in )    

I can’t seem to find anywhere that will let me do my thing and be a hands on asset with 20+ years experience. And not supervise.
Try meter fitting  ....theres a van outside my house  as we speak  with a sticker on the back  .." We are now recruiting "    Out on the road , on your own , although the van is trackered .

HHHmmmmm!   Thing is , if you went self employed say , you'd need to supervise yourself ,   visit site,  work a quote out , type it up , get it to client ,  do the job , invoice it , bank the money , keep the van running , make sure you're insured ,  buy a new Regs book every week . etc etc .  

I agree , supervising isn't for everyone , the Forman's job isn't for everyone .       In our previous entity we had good guys who didn't want to get involved with responsibility ,  

no good asking them to measure up the run for a new sub main  say , in 50mm SWA  ....various reasons  ,   not their remit ...not on their pay scale ... don't want the responsibility , ... its my job  not theirs .....   ( His exact  words in one instance )......." Just give us cable tray & conduit to run & leave us alone to crack it in )    

Try meter fitting  ....theres a van outside my house  as we speak  with a sticker on the back  .." We are now recruiting "    Out on the road , on your own , although the van is trackered .
I’ve ran jobs for years. But always had the stress element to it so I would rather not do it anymore.