Would you or wouldnt you?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Mate of mine is using the following on his NICEIC DI assessment.

Instead of running a sub from the house cu at the front of the mid-terraced (I advised up the front of house into loft & drop down the back of house) he (because of cost its a mates rates job) has extended the house only ring final circuit down the garden 10mtrs to garage terminating into a cu via insulated adaptable box.

New cu set up as TT with 30mA rcd mainswitch & new lighting circuit 6amp + 3x sockets 16amp.

I said I wouldnt be happy to use it as an assessment peice myself.

Mate of mine is using the following on his NICEIC DI assessment.Instead of running a sub from the house cu at the front of the mid-terraced (I advised up the front of house into loft & drop down the back of house) he (because of cost its a mates rates job) has extended the house only ring final circuit down the garden 10mtrs to garage terminating into a cu via insulated adaptable box.

New cu set up as TT with 30mA rcd mainswitch & new lighting circuit 6amp + 3x sockets 16amp.

I said I wouldnt be happy to use it as an assessment peice myself.
I assume he has put double pole isolating switch of some sort where the circuit leaves the house?

Cuz if there was a fault on the supply to the garage, tripping the ring circuit

you would want some easy way to isolate the external wiring to get all your sockets back on..

As for NICEIC assessment.

If they want to prove the circuit readings,

it could be a bit of a swine unplugging everything off the ring to do Ins Res readings..

I assume they would treat this a one complete circuit ..

'MCB - Ring - Sub - External building'..

unless they just look at it as from the Sub onward?

I guess they would want to prove the whole circuit ring and all..

because the extra load will be on the ring! ?:| ? :|

Be interesting to see how they approach it? ?:|

I have always used either easy radial, cooker / shower circuit

whole CU

whole re-wire.

The NIC man has always asked for a straight forward circuit to verify readings & testing procedures etc.. ???

:) :)

As you say.. I wouldn't pick this job either as a assessment piece! :(

Has the house ring been extended or a spur off this ?

The Niceic published a paper recently about overloading a ring on one leg, although this probably would not happen in this scenario 22A could be drawn at the garage C/U.

They were particularly concerned about grid switches in kitchens supplying the whole room from one point whilst the ring continued with hardly any load for quite a few more meters, thus putting a strain on the shortest leg. Not a lot of sparkies think of that.

Has the house ring been extended or a spur off this ?The Niceic published a paper recently about overloading a ring on one leg, although this probably would not happen in this scenario 22A could be drawn at the garage C/U.

They were particularly concerned about grid switches in kitchens supplying the whole room from one point whilst the ring continued with hardly any load for quite a few more meters, thus putting a strain on the shortest leg. Not a lot of sparkies think of that.
Those are my sort of concerns as well, Mr Slipshod... :)

I just feel these sort of scenarios best kept away from inspection assessment in case Mr inspector decides to asks questions...

that you haven't already verified yourself!!! :eek: :O

Better to offer a final radial direct back to CU suppling garage..

far easier to justify all your calcs & selection & erection! :D

From what I gather he has litteraly extended the ring ( as in two legs) to the insulated adaptable box, where the cpc has been terminated, then taken line & neutral into cu main switch/rcd & installed as TT.

I just think he's asking for a bucket load of hassel on the assessment.....mine last week I got picked up for not enough clips on a sso radial done in MICC :_|

still got the thumbs up though ( although he did say it was unusual to see a garage wired in MI :^O (it was spare so thought I'd use it :p )

From what I gather he has litteraly extended the ring ( as in two legs) to the insulated adaptable box, where the cpc has been terminated, then taken line & neutral into cu main switch/rcd & installed as TT.I just think he's asking for a bucket load of hassel on the assessment.....mine last week I got picked up for not enough clips on a sso radial done in MICC :_|

still got the thumbs up though ( although he did say it was unusual to see a garage wired in MI :^O (it was spare so thought I'd use it :p )
I would concur there M107!

be interesting to hear how he gets on??

Prove us all wrong.. :(

egg on our faces! :(

go eat our hats etc.. :_|

OR not???????????? ?:| ? :| ?:| ? :|

I would concur there M107!be interesting to hear how he gets on??

Prove us all wrong.. :(

egg on our faces! :(

go eat our hats etc.. :_|

OR not???????????? ?:| ? :| ?:| ? :|
I'll let you know, he's due for assessment mid May.