Your thoughts on 'fast-track' courses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbaxter31

Reaction score
Would all this apply to someone with an electrical engineering degree?

I'm in the same boat as OP, thinking about doing a fast track course. But I actually have a degree that taught all the electrical fundamentals, so I have a lot of the theory knowledge. It's more the practical and certification I need.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, your question now has its own place, please do not hi-jack old posts, (It causes problems) For reference
original question can be read if you
Click here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm in the same boat as OP, thinking about doing a fast track course. But I actually have a degree that taught all the electrical fundamentals, so I have a lot of the theory knowledge. It's more the practical and certification I need.

So you could probably achieve the paperwork necessary BUT its the practical experience you need.

Sadly the CPS's et all think that the revolving door of exams, updates etc is what is required.

I think that far more stringent assessments of practical installations is required PLUS random checks of installations too.

You really need to talk to the CPS's and see what they want if you live in England or Wales and you want to do domestic

AND don't believe the BS about what you might earn per year from the training companies

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, your question now has its own place, please do not hi-jack old posts, (It causes problems) For reference
original question can be read if you
Click here.

Hello welcome to the forum...
To put a bit of "historic meat-on-the-bones"..

Pre 2005ish.. any Tom Dick or Harry, (AKA.. Builder/Kitchen fitter/Conservatory fitter/Loft conversion/Garden landscapes bod/boddess's'),
could do all sorts of domestic electrical work without any legal requirements for anything!!

Once Part-P building regulations were introduced then, ("Theoretically") all new circuits, Consumer units, or work in some "special locations" required someone to take technical responsibility by issuing correct electrical certificates and building regs compliance certificates where applicable.

Various Competent Persons Schemes, (CPS), were set up to allow suitably qualified & experienced persons to self-certify their own work, without needing to get the LABC involved......

However around this time it was also identified that there could be a lot of experienced qualified electricians lacking the up-to-date formal qualifications, allowing them to sign off their own work..

SO..
various Fast-Track courses were introduced as a "Bring-Me-Up-To-Speed" with part-P waffle, for bucket loads of competent sparks doing the work, who just needed their tickets brought up to date..

BUT..
once that initial problem was resolved, (probably somewhere between 2005 & 2007/8ish..)
Numerous "Training" providers started pushing these "Fast-Track, Bring-Me-Up-To-Speed" courses as a Quick-Career-Change option to become an instant electrician!!

So Historically fast-track courses were for those experienced BUT lacking qualifications..
Whereas you appear to have the Qualifications but Lacking experience?

Not sure what the best solution is.. But hopefully this info will assist your decisions?

Last edited:
There is no legal requirement to have any qualification or ticket to call yourself or work as a domestic electrician in the UK, get hold of the Part P regulations and read them, again no legal requirement to be a member of any scheme to submit a Part P application which is the householders responsibility.

If practical experience is what you lack, try to shadow a working electrician in your area, ring round and offer yourself as a labourer, once you have some practical experience you should know which direction you need to go next.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the responses.

If I started on one of these courses and then after being part qualified I sought out work as an electricians mate, how long could it take to be fully qualified and be earning decent money? ~ £40k

And how long to know enough to be able to go self employed?

I've done quite a lot of work as a labourer on construction sites in the past so site work will be nothing new. Domestic work will be new.

I was thinking about phoning some local firms to get ask their view on these fast track courses and the realistic prospects for people entering the industry.

If I started on one of these courses and then after being part qualified I sought out work as an electricians mate, how long could it take to be fully qualified and be earning decent money? ~ £40k

Almost impossible to say, especially as you haven't stated where you are in the UK.

Hourly rates vary A LOT

Sadly I think your reading to much into press headlines? 40k per annum whilst a few do get that and more , the majority sadly do not , in fact there are now electricians marketing guru’s springing up everywhere trying to cash in on the guys who have fast tracked and are finding it impossible to find work ( at least enough to guarantee minimum wage). I’m not saying don’t do it but I will advise you save your money and find someone to tag onto for a while , Electrical work is more about knowledge than it is about skills, The install side for domestic really is quite simple it’s the theory , regs and testing that makes a difference and from what I have understood you have the necessary skills to transfer to house bashing and the money you save could go onto the most important aspect of any business … marketing

Shame your not near me I’d gladly take you around to get your feet wet