earth bonding to water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemant007

Reaction score
Greetings, I am homeowner and looking to confirm if I will need earth boding to water pipes.
There is already earth boding near Gas meter and the gas copper pipe enters the house.
Water main supply is via blue plastic pipe (MDPE) which then connects to plastic pipes and also some copper pipes (pipes under boiler are copper pipes, central heating pipes (flow and return pipes) are combination - somewhere copper somewhere plastic).
The consumer unit is metal box with RCD protection, the are 2x RCDs 30mAh, each with 5 MCBs.

Do I need water pipes earthen - the copper pipes under boiler and the some copper pipe sections under the kitchen sink with stopcock?

Thank you.

An electrician suggested that - the copper pipes under boiler and the some copper pipe sections under the kitchen sink with stopcock need to be bonded - so I am not sure and confused!

An electrician suggested that - the copper pipes under boiler and the some copper pipe sections under the kitchen sink with stopcock need to be bonded - so I am not sure and confused!

The only items requiring bonding are extraneous parts liable to introduce and earth potential. Your "electrician" probably needs to read 411.3.1.2?

Thank you, if copper pipe goes under the wood flooring to reach radiators (not under earth ground) is it considered as going underground that needs to be earth bonded ?

Electrician did not check, he saw stopcock under the sink and copper pipes under boiler and said to these metal pipe need to be earth bonded !

oh, I did not check his id, he responded via checkatrade, it looks he has some good reviews on checkatrade website !

oh, I did not check his id, he responded via checkatrade, it looks he has some good reviews on checkatrade website !

Checkatrade and other such sites make their money from excessive subscription fees that trades persons have to pay them..

So would be biting the hand that feeds if they publish reviews suggesting members are poor at their job!
Who do you think pays for the expensive TV advertising?

Any trades person willing to pay theses sorts of costs is probably struggling to generate much of their own word-of-mouth recommendations. And probably has to overcharge thier customers to help pay for the advertising!

This person clearly lacks some competence with regard to basics of earthing and bonding.

the electrician quoted £150 to do the EICR test and minor fixes as it will take around 4-5 hours,
however he finished the test in less than 1 hour (he checked CU, some sockets and switches) and now asking me to pay 150, he also quoted 200 plus material to fix the errors including earth bonding to water pipes.
I do not feel good and while I respect all professionals, I feel I am being ripped off !

too late ,now he's completed the job and gone, £150 for 10 circuits(£15 per circuit) not too far off the norm, but if he has completed in 1hr did he do a complete inspection and test?, I would think not