17th Edition Ammendment No.1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITS,

I can't play the link - can you give us an overview of the PIR changes?

Guys, this is quite old news now, the consultation period has ended.

The DPC expired quite a while ago now.

There are a few old threads on here about it.

Did it?I can still view it on my PC, just checked and it still opens.
I Think Sidewinder was referring to the time for giving feed back comments, which closed sept 2010. however as you say the document is still open for informative purposes.

Doc H.

Draft for Public Comment - BS 7671/AMD 1The DPC period for commenting closed on 6 September 2010. This page is provided for information only.

Whilst it's been mentioned - Did anyone on here make any comments during the 'period'.

Is there anything in it that anyone disagreed with or thought could be better?

Whilst it's been mentioned - Did anyone on here make any comments during the 'period'.Is there anything in it that anyone disagreed with or thought could be better?
I didn't make comment but recently noticed 411.3.3 © is an exclusion that removes the need to fit an RCD when performing minor works on a socket circuit that is not already fitted with an RCD.

My reading of this, is that the EIT have noticed people are fitting RCD's or changing CU's to incorporate RCD's just so they can carry out minor works, and the EIT did not intend to force this retrospective RCD upgrades.

So they worded this exclusion that will allow minor works on a socket circuit without the need to add an RCD if one is not already there.

But my thought is WHY is this exclusion ONLY socket circuits?

So if this amendment is adopted, you can add an extra socket without needing to fit an RCD, but if you make a minor alteration to a lighting circuit or anything other than a "socket outlet circuit" you WILL have to fit an RCD.

Surely if there is going to be an exception for minor works, it should be all circuits?

Excluding minor works to socket circuits alone does not make any sense.

ITS,I can't play the link - can you give us an overview of the PIR changes?
PIR is to be called ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT which is similar to the existing report but seems to incorporate a 7 page checklist called INSPECTION SCHEDULE FOR A SINGLE DISTRIBUTION BOARD INSTALLATION FOR DOMESTIC AND SIMILAR PREMISES. I'm not sure if this checklist is appended to the new Condition Report (if relevant) or not. It doesn't have the phrase 'To be appended to the Report' so I guess its for our own use.

I must admit, I like the look of the new 'checklist' - also handy to make sure you don't overlook anything.

And Dave, I thought the change applied to any 'minor works' - I'll have to have another look at it. :)

Guys, please remember this is not yet formal.

I did not have time to make comments, nor have I even looked at the proposed AMD DPC!

I do know that at least one member has made comments to the IET.

And Dave, I thought the change applied to any 'minor works' - I'll have to have another look at it. :)
Here's the text:

411.3.3© minor works associated with existing socket-outlet circuits not provided with additional protection by means ofan RCD where the designer is satisfied that there would be no increased risk from the installation of the addition

or alteration. The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section

of the Electrical Installation Certificate (see notes 1 and 2).

Note 1: For minor works the installer is often the designer of the addition or alteration.

Note 2: The recording of this decision does not constitute a departure from this Standard.
I might be miss reading it, but as far as I can see, that exception only applies to socket circuits, so unless there is a similat exception somewhere else, an alteration to any other circuit would still require the addition of an RCD, which is both inconsistent, and bizare. If anything you would think the exception would apply to everything except socket circuits?

Dave, I'm sure there's another bit about alterations to circuits where the risk of penetration of buried cables by nails is low, again RCD need not be added - too lazy to find it though, sorry!