230 & Fault Finding - Practical Exam.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutmegg

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new here, and his has probably been brought up load's of times.

I've got my 230 & Fault finding tomorrow I passed my Part 'P' Testing with ease so my Tutor expects to pass this with ease although I'm not so convinced. My tutor pushed for me to go first out of my class so I'm kinda bricking it.

It feel's like my mind's already gone blank from most of the test's and one of the guide's on here was different to what I was taught.

I was wondering if anyone could help just running through tests and scales, the most off-putting thing is the 'garage DB' I can see myself over-thinking it completely and messing everything up. I'm really getting my self confused on the live testing, I keep thinking what side's I need to be on for each test! As I know for PFC testing I will have to be on "No-Trip" has it's fed from a MCB from the main DB.

I really feel I'm over thinking everything?

Thanks for any help.

Adam.

You are succumbing to the usual pre test nerves which we all do from time to time, even those who have vast experience get nerves before a test or assessment.

Just keep calm and follow the set procedures, if you do get flustered with nerves take a couple of minutes out to calm down and settle your nerves, use the time to convince yourself that you can do this easily.

I always use the fact that I know some really simple minded people who have passed this exam, and surely I can if they did! Calms me down no end.

Good luck and do not worry.

Thanks for that. :)

Can anyone give me some guidance on the Garage consumer unit? I've been doing some research as I'm really not that sure.

So far I've Figured out - There's No Ze. there is Zdb or Zs, and treat the circuit's as a normal house.

I assume I treat PFC the same as well.

How do I actually test Zdb/Zs?

Do I use Three leads on L-N-Cpc? Or Two leads on L-N? I've tried finding out but no such luck.

Two lead or three lead tests are dependant on your tester.

You will be testing the Zs at the garage CU, this is often known as the Zdb, but never the less is just the Zs at that position. The PFC will be the highest recorded reading. It is just the same procedures for testing as the main board, just because it is a second distribution board does not complicate things. I am sure you will be fine.

Ok thank's for your help I feel I understand this a lot more now. We use the standard megger mft1552 I think most college's do we have a plug in - 'plug' what auto-read's and we use Three-leads for lighting and spur's.

So In essence the thing I've been panicking about is basically another consumer unit, Minus Ze and continuity of Bonding Conductors?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:41 ----------

Final Question: I' will be given a separate schedule of result's for the 'Garage' Consumer Unit. On the Result's do I simply just put 'N/A' For Ze At Orgin?

I assume for type of supply will be the same and I re-measure the Voltage and polarity at the garage consumer unit to allow for voltage drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there was an echo of your replies!!

The schedule of test results does not change, the only extra pages that are included is the distribution board designation and the test results for that board.There is no need to supply additional pages to the EIC or for your example the EICR.

I've been told I will be supplied two sheet's of Schedule of result's I've been shown and there identical.

O_O.

Yes you will get one for each distribution board for the test results.

Sorry I may have confused you there, my last post included a mistake which should be ignored.

The schedule of test results will be one for each board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, they both have the details for Ze, PFC, Type of supply. Do I only fill-in what's applicable? I think I've gone into retard mode and not understanding something very simple.

Okay, they both have the details for Ze, PFC, Type of supply. Do I only fill-in what's applicable? I think I've gone into retard mode and not understanding something very simple.
I think you may be looking at and confusing the separate pages of a complete form. The Ze PFC and type of supply is on one page 2, which includes supply details,particulars of installation at the origin, and schedule of items inspected.

Page 3 would be DB 1, page 4 would be the schedule of test results for DB1, page 5 would be (in your case) the garage DB (DB2) and page 6 would be the schedule of test results for DB2.

We are using the BS7671 Form's (Appendix 6)I will be given 2 sheet's of "form 4". At the top of form '4' you need to fill-in; Type of supply, PFC and Ze at Orgin.

Would I just put N/A In Ze at orgin?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:35 ----------

Whitest having a shower and thinking about it I actually realised I was thinking as-if the C/U Was a hole new Installation the Ze Will be the same when as when I Measure it from the main C/U.

Thank you SO Much for you're help. I feel a lot more confident and actually looking forward to tomorrow for my exam!

We are using the BS7671 Form's (Appendix 6)I will be given 2 sheet's of "form 4". At the top of form '4' you need to fill-in; Type of supply, PFC and Ze at Orgin. Would I just put N/A In Ze at orgin?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:35 ----------

Whitest having a shower and thinking about it I actually realised I was thinking as-if the C/U Was a hole new Installation the Ze Will be the same when as when I Measure it from the main C/U.

Thank you SO Much for you're help. I feel a lot more confident and actually looking forward to tomorrow for my exam!
You definitely need to relax, when I have a shower I am thinking about reaching the parts I use to be able to when I was 20. :)

Look over the standard forms before you go to bed and all will become clear. The only difference with multiple boards is a few extra pages.